From: Mike Lovell on
> The first option is the goal. We present the user with a UI on the local
> machine to complete the server request - operating a scanner for example.
>
> Aye, I believe that it's simply a matter of not listening for subsequent
> debugging environment is challenging and complex - but that is where I am
> at now. I am hoping that I simply fat fingered something and am just not
> noticing it. Though I rewrote this piece from scratch to avoid the
> isolated testing complexities - to no avail.
>
> We had looked at WCF, TCPSockets and Web Services as an alternative
> solution. I still have the original prototypes tucked away in source
> control. There were two major down sides to these approaches.
>
> 1. Additional configuration and maitenance.
> 2. Pairing an RDP session with the local machine.
>
> Definately these are doable solutions, but virtual channels provides it
> all out of the box. We decided that was the route we wanted to tap into.

In which case, I think what I'd do it open up the server application and add
"Debug.WriteLine" to everything related to the channel..

ServerListening
ClientIncoming <id>
ClientAccepted <id>
ClientDataReceived <data>
ClientDataSent <data>
ClientClosed <id>

And the status of the channel before, during and after the interaction with
the UI. I'd do this on both the client and server (obviously the client
would not be listening but you get the idea).

Then I'd setup a tracer on debug to dump to a log file, and "tail -f" it on
both machines while I run my tests

Now if the server (the end user PC) goes:

ServerListening -> ClientIncoming -> ??? -> ClientClose -> Server Listening
.... repeat ...

You're good, if it doesn't start listening against after the connection,
then that isolates the problem a little bit.

Then pack between ClientClosed and where 'ServerListening' SHOULD be with as
much debug output as possible and delve into it that way.

Yes it's a bit of a nightmare when you get so far and then hit a
functionality brick wall like this.

--
Mike
GoTinker, C# Blog

From: wlburgess on

"amdrit" wrote:

> [...]
> ovr.InternalLow = IntPtr.Zero;
> ovr.OffsetHigh = 0;
> ovr.OffsetLow = 0;
> ovr.EventHandle = IntPtr.Zero;
>
> //Assign the Created Event handle in the Overlapped structure.
> ovr.EventHandle = myEventHandle;
>
> while (bContinue == true)
> {
> //Reset the event.Still the client is in progress.
> Kernel32.ResetEvent(ovr.EventHandle);
>
> //Read any Progress data from the channel if any.
> bool b = Kernel32.ReadFile(pFileHandle, bytes, (uint)bytes.Length,
> out bytesread, ref ovr);
>
> if (this.OnMessageReceived != null)
> {
> try
> {
> System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter
> bf = new System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter();
> System.IO.MemoryStream ms = new System.IO.MemoryStream(bytes);
> SimpleMessage sr = (SimpleMessage)bf.Deserialize(ms);
>
> //Notify the calling app that we have new data
> this.OnMessageReceived(bytes);
>
> bContinue = false;
> }
> catch (Exception ex)
> {
> System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(ex.ToString());
> }
> if (bgw.CancellationPending) break;
> }
> //If not wait till the data arrives.Once the data arrives , the
> event handle in the overlapped
> //structure will get signaled and the WaitforSingleObject will
> continue going for the next data.
> int i = Kernel32.WaitForSingleObject(ovr.EventHandle,
> (int)Kernel32.INFINITE);
> }
>
> //Thread is going to exit.Release the Pointer obtained.
> WtsApi32.WTSFreeMemory(intHandlePtr);
>
> //Close the channel here depending upon your requirement.
> WtsApi32.WTSVirtualChannelClose(intHandlePtr);
> }
>
> }
>

> "Mike Lovell" <dont.reply(a)gotinker.com> wrote in message
> >> I've been working on an RDP plug-in solution written in C#. The concept
> >> came from a CodeProject article. I encountered a problem in testing and
> >> so opened a case with MS. Rather than looking into the problem they
> >> cited a KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841927.
> >
> > What was the problem?
> >
> >> My question is, does anyone have anything to support that MSTSC.EXE is
> >> included amoung the executables that require this special consideration?
> >>
> >> I've spent a lot of time on this project and it seems now that I have
> >> wasted a lot of company time. I would like to exhaust all options before
> >> looking to go to a pure c solution. No one on my team has the experience
> >> to create the components we require in c.
> >
> > I think it's likely we'd need more details on what you're exactly trying
> > to do (if you can disclose this information).
> >
> > Perhaps the lines of source relevant to the problem.

I have the same issue.
I used the same codeproject source for the same reason.
Then I really wanted threading to work correctly (because RDP Virtual
Channels can be a little lame across the various platforms -- like a lot of
success where none should exist).
Anyway, your ideas were important to me because WTSVirtualChannelRead is not
thread-safe, and that explains some of the hit&miss I see in using it in
thread (which is part of that article).
I had 2 goals, research the overlapped method (leading me to your post via
google), and avoiding the term "unsafe" in C#.
I started with your problem and dug deaper into Overlapped, which is where I
think your root problem is. It "seems" to be working for me (more testing
ongoing), once all the rules for using native overlapped are followed. I'll
let you be the judge. Here's some code:

// Note: IntPtr _vcFileHandle;
// Note: AutoResetEvent _eventOverlappedRead = new AutoResetEvent(false);
// may be better to use ManualReset, but the code structure should support
AutoReset correctly

private void vcReadThread_DoWork(object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
{
BackgroundWorker bw = sender as BackgroundWorker;

// Extract the argument.
int arg = (int)e.Argument;

IntPtr h = _eventOverlappedRead.Handle; // causes warning - should use
SafeWaitHandle instead -- later improvement

//Declare and initialize the OVERLAPPED structure and initialize it
correctly.
NativeOverlapped ovr = new NativeOverlapped();
ovr.InternalHigh = IntPtr.Zero;
ovr.InternalLow = IntPtr.Zero;
ovr.OffsetHigh = 0;
ovr.OffsetLow = 0;
ovr.EventHandle = IntPtr.Zero;

//Assign the Created Event handle in the Overlapped structure.
ovr.EventHandle = h;

IntPtr data = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(1600); // VERY IMPORTANT -- Must PIN
the memory usage in .NET if using Overlapped IO

uint bytesread = 0;
while (!bw.CancellationPending && this._mHandle != IntPtr.Zero) //
acutally use the Handle from WTSVirtualChannelQuery which is _vcFileHandle
{
//Read any Progress data from the channel if any.
bool b = winapi.ReadFile(_vcFileHandle, data, 1600, out bytesread,
ref ovr);
if (b)
{
// result is immediately available
}
else
{
int lastError = Marshal.GetLastWin32Error();
if(lastError == winapi.ERROR_IO_PENDING)
{
// this is OK -- time to wait on the overlapped event handle
eventOverlappedRead.WaitOne();
bool rc = winapi.GetOverlappedResult(_vcFileHandle, ref ovr,
out bytesread, false);
if(!rc)
{
this.Log("Error in GetOverlappedResult: error=" +
lastError.ToString());
}
}
else
{
// bad news
bytesread = 0;
this.Log("Error in ReadFile: error=" + lastError.ToString());
}
}

if (bytesread > 0) // This method of using bytesread is important
because it works for both immediate return and from GetOverlappedResult
{
byte[] buff = new byte[bytesread];
Marshal.Copy(data, buff, 0, (int)bytesread);
lock (this._qReadBuffer)
{
this._qReadBuffer.AddRange(buff);
}
}
}

Marshal.FreeHGlobal(data);

if (bw.CancellationPending)
{
e.Cancel = true;
}
}

From: amdrit on
Interesting.

Thanks for the input, I'll put this to the test. Did you have any
conclusions in your testing?