From: Stratocaster on
Hello everyone, this is my first time so please excuse any lack of
netiquite by suggesting improvements.

I am not even sure if it is possible to do these things but in general
I am trying to programmatically perform routine operations with as
little effort as possible: (A little background, I will be trying to
do this through VS2008, I am not a programmer but am decent with VBA
and have minimal exposure to C++, but yeah, I am definitely not worth
of the programmer title).

1). Open a web browser to a specific web page, enter name/password
and press the enter key.

Ultimately I need to do more but feel if I can 'programmatically'
perform that operation there is a good chance I could struggle through
learning how to do the rest of what I am trying to do.

Opening the web browser to the website I can do:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("IExplore.exe", "website")

I was thinking I need to view the HTML code of the webpage to try and
figure "what" I need to set equal to the appropriate name & password.
I was not very successful - I do not even know how to programmatically
click 'submit'. First off, is that how I should be approaching this?

In general my goal is to programmatically perform routine operations
with software for which I am not aware of any rich library of
predefined classes and objects (like MS Office). My lack of knowledge
fully disclosed I will save myself the embarrasment of future
questions for now. Possibly someone can point me in a direction for
figuring stuff like this out? (My standard google search technique
and Wrox reference guide purchase has lead me around in circles trying
to figure this out).

Thank you for your time.
From: Auric__ on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 02:57:36 GMT, Stratocaster wrote:

> Hello everyone, this is my first time so please excuse any lack of
> netiquite by suggesting improvements.
>
> I am not even sure if it is possible to do these things but in general
> I am trying to programmatically perform routine operations with as
> little effort as possible: (A little background, I will be trying to
> do this through VS2008,

The regs in this group deal with pre-.Net VB. If you want to do this in
VB2008, repost your question in this group:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

....but for this problem, you might not need to write a program at all. (I
sometimes use wget to download pages that require a login; pretty simple
stuff, really.)

> I am not a programmer but am decent with VBA
> and have minimal exposure to C++, but yeah, I am definitely not worth
> of the programmer title).

I'd call you a programmer. Maybe not very experienced, but yeah, a
programmer.

> 1). Open a web browser to a specific web page, enter name/password
> and press the enter key.
>
> Ultimately I need to do more but feel if I can 'programmatically'
> perform that operation there is a good chance I could struggle through
> learning how to do the rest of what I am trying to do.
>
> Opening the web browser to the website I can do:
>
> System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("IExplore.exe", "website")
>
> I was thinking I need to view the HTML code of the webpage to try and
> figure "what" I need to set equal to the appropriate name & password.

In the HTML, search for "<form". If it's there, then somewhere between that
and "</form>" should be what you need. (If you don't know HTML, it's very
simple to learn; an hour or two should be enough time to learn the basics.
Tutorials abound on the intartoobz.)

> I was not very successful - I do not even know how to programmatically
> click 'submit'. First off, is that how I should be approaching this?

Opening the logon page is probably an unneccessary step. You should be able
to go directly to whatever handles the login.

> In general my goal is to programmatically perform routine operations
> with software for which I am not aware of any rich library of
> predefined classes and objects (like MS Office). My lack of knowledge
> fully disclosed I will save myself the embarrasment of future
> questions for now. Possibly someone can point me in a direction for
> figuring stuff like this out? (My standard google search technique
> and Wrox reference guide purchase has lead me around in circles trying
> to figure this out).

Each case can be different. It really depends on what you're trying to do.

--
Taking disproportionate revenge over imagined slights since 1976.

Pages: 1
Prev: VB6!
Next: Type Mismatch error with CDate