From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:06:33 +0100
Christian Brandt <brandtc(a)psi5.com> wrote:

> Am 26.01.2010 06:56, schrieb Jack Tseng:
> > Can you find the DOS program that write the C1541 formatted disk in IBM
> > 360K floppy drive from the D64 image? Like Writeatr.exe
>
> You are looking for http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/ which can read many
> native encoded formats in a simple PC drive.
>
> Yes, you read this right: NO CATWEAZLE REQUIRED!!!
>
> It bitbangs the µPD765a floppy controler and can read even strange
> formats like old DD apple drives.
>
> Christian Brandt

Sounds like a fabulous idea, but I'd suggest this be ported to Unix-like operating systems as well (Linux, BSD, etc), if possible.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."

From: Groepaz on
Peter Dassow wrote:

> mrtinbspam(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> Imposible, as 1541 uses GCR-encoding, and PC-drives uses MFM-encoding.
>> Unfortunatly it cannot be overrided, as the MFM-encoding is done with
>> a chip on the PC.
>
> That's not the whole truth. There was a special disk controller named
> "Catweazle", which made it possible to write also GCR coded Apple II
> disk images for example.

was ? its still available :)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

volltrunkenheit - ��hnlicher Begriff: vollkommenheit
<wikipedia>

From: Dombo on
Vanessa Ezekowitz schreef:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:06:33 +0100
> Christian Brandt <brandtc(a)psi5.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 26.01.2010 06:56, schrieb Jack Tseng:
>>> Can you find the DOS program that write the C1541 formatted disk in IBM
>>> 360K floppy drive from the D64 image? Like Writeatr.exe
>> You are looking for http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/ which can read many
>> native encoded formats in a simple PC drive.
>>
>> Yes, you read this right: NO CATWEAZLE REQUIRED!!!
>>
>> It bitbangs the �PD765a floppy controler and can read even strange
>> formats like old DD apple drives.
>>
>> Christian Brandt
>
> Sounds like a fabulous idea, but I'd suggest this be ported to Unix-like operating systems as well (Linux, BSD, etc), if possible.

Unfortunately it can't be used to read GCR formatted disks, since even
direct access to the 765 controller won't help with that.
From: Groepaz on
Christian Brandt wrote:

> Am 26.01.2010 06:56, schrieb Jack Tseng:
>> Can you find the DOS program that write the C1541 formatted disk in IBM
>> 360K floppy drive from the D64 image? Like Writeatr.exe
>
> You are looking for http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/ which can read many
> native encoded formats in a simple PC drive.
>
> Yes, you read this right: NO CATWEAZLE REQUIRED!!!
>
> It bitbangs the �PD765a floppy controler and can read even strange
> formats like old DD apple drives.

uh? maybe before making such claims you should actually understand what you
are talking about ....

while fdrawcmd.sys (and the known frontend "omniflop") are quite nice
software, they can NOT do the impossible. that is, they can obviously only
read (and write) what the controllerchip in the pc is capable of. and that
means: standard FM and MFM formats, at their standard bitrates. NO apple2e
disks, NO amiga format, NO commodore 1541 format.
yes it allows, with some heavy trickery and using a second modified drive,
some limited access to these formats - however, no transfer software that
actually uses this method exists. (there exists disk2fdi, which works
similar, but in plain DOS)

(last not least, notice that neither fdrawcmd nor disk2fdi can *write* those
non standard formats, which was what the OP asked for)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

The universe is simple; it's the explanation that's complex.

From: Rainer Buchty on
In article <20100127102512.09a42290(a)rainbird>,
Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekowitz(a)gmail.com> writes:

|> Sounds like a fabulous idea, but I'd suggest this be ported to Unix-like op=
|> erating systems as well (Linux, BSD, etc), if possible.

fdutils is there for years, including "superformat" for creating big-sector
and MSS formats.

Rainer