From: Wietse Venema on
Mathias Tausig:
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.09.2009, 10:18 -0400 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> [...]
> > This is an output buffering problem. You need to flush output
> > after each reply, perhaps by calling the flush() function.
> >

> Hy!
>
> No, I am afraid that this is not the problem.
>
> I am sendig you a few details of my setup
>
> Here is my php script test.php:
> <?php
> error_reporting(E_ALL);
> fprintf(STDOUT, "220 localhost SMTP foo test\n");

According to the SMTP protocol spec (RFC 5321), SMTP terminates
lines with <CR><LF>, not with newline characters. And it has other
features, such as multi-line replies, and magical handling of lines
beginning with the "." character, that you should be aware of when
before writing SMTP software.

Wietse
From: Mathias Tausig on
Am Freitag, den 11.09.2009, 08:38 -0400 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> Mathias Tausig:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 10.09.2009, 10:18 -0400 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> > [...]
> > > This is an output buffering problem. You need to flush output
> > > after each reply, perhaps by calling the flush() function.
> > >

> > Hy!
> >
> > No, I am afraid that this is not the problem.
> >
> > I am sendig you a few details of my setup
> >
> > Here is my php script test.php:
> > <?php
> > error_reporting(E_ALL);
> > fprintf(STDOUT, "220 localhost SMTP foo test\n");
>
> According to the SMTP protocol spec (RFC 5321), SMTP terminates
> lines with <CR><LF>, not with newline characters. And it has other
> features, such as multi-line replies, and magical handling of lines
> beginning with the "." character, that you should be aware of when
> before writing SMTP software.

I just tried to replace the "\n" with "\r\l", but to no avail. The same
problem remains.
I also watched the exact reply given by my (working) c++ program, and
that terminates its linex with 0xa, a new line.
Apart from that, you are probably right, I should read the RFC. I hoped
I could soare the hassle, since I am not planning to right something
particular sophisticated.

cheers
Mathias

From: Wietse Venema on
The php-net-smtp PEAR module implements an SMTP client; you may
be able to pick some pieces to do the server portion of the protocol.

Wietse
From: Mikael Bak on
Mathias Tausig wrote:
> I just tried to replace the "\n" with "\r\l", but to no avail. The same
> problem remains.

I can be wrong here, but shouldn't that be "\r\n" ?

HTH,
Mikael

From: Mathias Tausig on
Am Freitag, den 11.09.2009, 16:10 +0200 schrieb Mikael Bak:
> Mathias Tausig wrote:
> > I just tried to replace the "\n" with "\r\l", but to no avail. The same
> > problem remains.
>
> I can be wrong here, but shouldn't that be "\r\n" ?
>
> HTH,
> Mikael

You are right, of course. I had \r\n before, with the same negative
results, and just tried the other variation in desperation.

cheers
Mathias