From: Guy Rouillier on
On 6/10/2010 4:45 PM, Harry Jede wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2010 wrote Guy Rouillier:

>> Notice that authenejbcp.bat is included in both listings. If someone
>> else can confirm they are seeing the same thing, I'll file a bug
>> report. Thanks.
> Read the man page of smb.conf, section "NAME MANGLING"

I read that. Sorry, but I don't see what that has to do with the
question I posed. I don't specify anything in that group of settings,
so they are all defaulting. How does that explain that a file beginning
with "au" is included in "dir ac*"?

--
Guy Rouillier
On 6/10/2010 5:01 PM, Tom Reijnders wrote:
> Confirmed: (I liked Blake's 7 ;-) )

Thanks, Tom, I'll open a bug report.

--
Guy Rouillier
On 6/10/2010 11:50 PM, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> Am Freitag 11 Juni 2010 01:47:30 schrieb Guy Rouillier:
>> On 6/10/2010 5:01 PM, Tom Reijnders wrote:
>>> Confirmed: (I liked Blake's 7 ;-) )
>>
>> Thanks, Tom, I'll open a bug report.
>>
> does
> mangled names = no
> in your share section of smb.conf solve your problem?

Gunter, thanks! with that option set, the misbehavior with dir with
wildcards does *not* happen. So, is this still a bug or is this
intended behavior? I certainly didn't anticipate it, so from my
perspective it is unexpected behavior.

At the very least, I would expect mangled names = no to be the default
behavior, as it provides the most consist behavior. Windows long file
names have been around for a very long time, so I don't see why 8.3
support should be the default. Then if people want mangled names = yes,
they can be informed of unanticipated side effects. So, make the
expected behavior the default and make the user explicitly ask for
unexpected behavior.

--
Guy Rouillier
Am Freitag 11 Juni 2010 08:17:55 schrieb Tom Reijnders:
> No, not in my case at least .

please post the used file names inside your test directory.
Cheers, Günter

Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1 <at> burntmail.com> writes:

> I get the following
> results from issuing directory listings with a wildcard:
>
> N:\temp>dir ac*
> Volume in drive N is data
> Volume Serial Number is 0160-027E
>
> Directory of N:\temp
>
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6 authenejbcp.bat
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6 ActivePython-2.6.5.12-win32-x86.msi
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6
> ActiveTcl8.6.0.0b2.291226-win32-ix86-threaded.exe
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6
> ActivePerl-5.10.1.1007-MSWin32-x86-291969.msi
> 4 File(s) 24 bytes
> 0 Dir(s) 533,019,426,816 bytes free
>
> N:\temp>dir au*
> Volume in drive N is data
> Volume Serial Number is 0160-027E
>
> Directory of N:\temp
>
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6 authenejbcp.bat
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6 authencp.bat
> 06/10/2010 03:33 PM 6 authenclientcp.bat
> 3 File(s) 18 bytes
> 0 Dir(s) 533,019,484,160 bytes free
>
> Notice that authenejbcp.bat is included in both listings. If someone
> else can confirm they are seeing the same thing, I'll file a bug report.
> Thanks.

For what it's worth, this behavior is not limited to Samba servers. I have the
exact same problem using standard Microsoft servers. Dir EC05*.* might return a
file named EC11*.* which is also visible if you Dir EC11*.*.

The main difference is that my problem doesn't seem to be reproducible like
yours. During the course of a month we generate several thousand of these files
which are processed then archived and deleted. The names are all unique,
containing date/time stamps. In the course of a month maybe 10 of these files
will be affected as you describe. We have modified our code to monitor for this
situation and give warnings.