From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> David Kaye wrote:
>
>> Just a reminder that names, titles, and other material on Usenet is
>> required
>> to be 7-bit ASCII. This means no 8-bit foreign characters, etc.
>> Many
>> newsreaders display garbage when trying to render 8-bit characters.
>> (8-bit is
>> not ASCII by the way.)
>>
>> Here's the defining standard:
>>
>> "Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space
>> through
>> tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")"
>> (right
>> parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
>> Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail
>> standard, in
>> particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!"
>> (bang), "/"
>> (slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full
>> names.
>>
>> Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj
>
> And what did any of this have to do with security or the issue of
> viruses,
> the topic of THIS newsgroup? Nothing. Or is there really some
> security
> issue regarding the encoding schemes possible when using ASCII
> characters?

I wonder if changing the subject gets us closer to being on topic?

Sure looks like a mangled EICAR which is an ASCII encoding scheme.

From: MEB on
On 02/24/2010 09:19 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> David Kaye wrote:
>>
>>> Just a reminder that names, titles, and other material on Usenet is
>>> required
>>> to be 7-bit ASCII. This means no 8-bit foreign characters, etc.
>>> Many
>>> newsreaders display garbage when trying to render 8-bit characters.
>>> (8-bit is
>>> not ASCII by the way.)
>>>
>>> Here's the defining standard:
>>>
>>> "Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space
>>> through
>>> tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")"
>>> (right
>>> parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
>>> Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail
>>> standard, in
>>> particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!"
>>> (bang), "/"
>>> (slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full
>>> names.
>>>
>>> Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj
>>
>> And what did any of this have to do with security or the issue of
>> viruses,
>> the topic of THIS newsgroup? Nothing. Or is there really some
>> security
>> issue regarding the encoding schemes possible when using ASCII
>> characters?
>
> I wonder if changing the subject gets us closer to being on topic?
>
> Sure looks like a mangled EICAR which is an ASCII encoding scheme.

So was it a question, an attack, or what?

Anyone bother to translate ALL of it?

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

>> Sure looks like a mangled EICAR which is an ASCII encoding scheme.

| So was it a question, an attack, or what?

| Anyone bother to translate ALL of it?

EICAR test string as subject. :-)

--
Dave

From: MEB on
On 02/24/2010 10:01 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
>
>>> Sure looks like a mangled EICAR which is an ASCII encoding scheme.
>

> | So was it a question, an attack, or what?
>
> | Anyone bother to translate ALL of it?
>
> EICAR test string as subject. :-)

Ah, okay, couldn't tell if that was just something from within it or
was the actual... so likely a question or request for help then, or
maybe a discussion/question ABOUT the hack?
Never mind I guess, just speculation anyway...

For those interested:
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

| On 02/24/2010 10:01 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

>> | So was it a question, an attack, or what?

>> | Anyone bother to translate ALL of it?

>> EICAR test string as subject. :-)

| Ah, okay, couldn't tell if that was just something from within it or
| was the actual... so likely a question or request for help then, or
| maybe a discussion/question ABOUT the hack?
| Never mind I guess, just speculation anyway...

| For those interested:
| http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Just a way that FTR could put this thread back on topic in a "different"
way.

--
Dave