From: Dan Nagle on
Hi,

On 2010-04-13 14:59:16 -0400, nospam(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) said:

> XLF had at least a beta Mac
> release (which I tried out) some years back when Macs had PPC chips.
> And, as I mentioned, NASA Dryden had a few IBM workstations. I could
> probably even find an older used one that I could buy for home; I've no
> plan to do so, but I bet an affordable one could be found. Crays were
> out of the question for even that NASA site (some bigger NASA sites had
> them, but not Dryden).

I still have xlf on my remaining PPC Mac.

However, all the new Macs are Intel, so I'll
lose use of it, which I regret. It's a useful datapoint,
and it made fast code.

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle

From: Craig Powers on
Dan Nagle wrote:

> I'm awaiting coarrays in more than g95.

There's serious implementation and design work underway in gfortran.
From what I've seen, I'd bet on at least a single-image implementation
in release 4.6.
From: Uno on
Jim Xia wrote:
> See the announcement
>
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS210-103

Fortran 2003 standard

XL Fortran began implementing features for the new Fortran 2003 standard
starting with XL Fortran for AIX, V8.1 (2002). Additional features were
added in V9.1, 10.1, 11.1, and 12.1 as the standard changed from draft
to ratified. With XL Fortran for AIX, V13.1, the remaining features are
implemented so that the full Fortran 2003 programming language standard
is now made available you.

The newly supported Fortran 2003 features are:

* Parameterized derived types, including kind and length parameters
* Generic interfaces with the same name as derived types

Support of programming language standards not only provides you with
significant functionality but also allows for maximum portability of
your source code among a variety of compiler implementations.

!end excerpt

So is this something that costs closer to $1,000 or $50,000?:

IBM XL Fortran for AIX , V13.1 delivers support for the POWER7 processor
architecture
--
Uno
From: Tobias Burnus on
On 04/16/2010 09:03 AM, Uno wrote:
[IBM XL Fortran for AIX]

> So is this something that costs closer to $1,000 or $50,000?:

Well, depends: Only the compiler should be a 4 digit number but with the
hardware you soon end up with a higher 5 digit number.

On the their webpage I found the following price for XL Fortran AIX:
4,865.91 euros; it's half for Linux: 2,299.08 euros. Depending on value
added tax, currency rate, and whether you can get a discount it can be
more or less.

Thus, if you do not have already a PowerPC or Cray, it might be better
to wait either until one of the Open Source compilers (gfortran, g95,
....) or one of the commercial compilers (Intel, NAG, ...) on a x86-64
platform support it. It will take a bit longer, but you save a few
thousand bucks.

The current status can be found in the April issue of Fortran Forum,
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1753166.1753169, or at
http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Fortran+2003+status

Tobias

From: Jim Xia on
> > So is this something that costs closer to $1,000 or $50,000?:
>
> Well, depends: Only the compiler should be a 4 digit number but with the
> hardware you soon end up with a higher 5 digit number.

Well, that also depends on the system you're building or buying. A
small PPC970 blades may be a cheap choice, but performs relatively
well. Right now, XLF V13.1 is supported on P4, P5, P6, P7 systems as
well as to PPC970 families. The price for a used P5/P6 system may not
even reach 5 digits.

> On the their webpage I found the following price for XL Fortran AIX:
> 4,865.91 euros; it's half for Linux: 2,299.08 euros. Depending on value
> added tax, currency rate, and whether you can get a discount it can be
> more or less.

Cheers,

Jim
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last