From: Batvanio on
I have discussed recently the sluggishness of the built in
XMLSerializer (compared to the standard .NET framework). Basically,
the XMLSerializer in CF is about 50-60 times slower (on the same
hardware platform) compared to the one in the standard .NET platform
(running XP Embedded).
I have talked to Microsoft, and they basically told me that "it is
what it is" - due to compactness requirements, the CF implementation
is much slower. (if you just compare the sizes of System.XML.dll you
will see that the CF version is about 20 times smaller, so they
obviously left out a lot).

My question is: has anyone had any experience with other (custom, off
the shelf etc.) serializers? In particular, has anyone had any
experience with JSON for .NET? I still prefer, if possible, to use a
serializer that uses humanly-readable and not binary format)

Thanks
Ivan
From: Ginny Caughey on
Ivan,

Compact Formatter Plus, a binary serializer is a lot faster than XML:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/CF_serializer.aspx

--

Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP

From: Batvanio on
On Jan 12, 11:08 am, Batvanio <batva...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have discussed recently the sluggishness of the built in
> XMLSerializer (compared to the standard .NET framework). Basically,
> the XMLSerializer in CF is about 50-60 times slower (on the same
> hardware platform) compared to the one in the standard .NET platform
> (running XP Embedded).
> I have talked to Microsoft, and they basically told me that "it is
> what it is" - due to compactness requirements, the CF implementation
> is much slower. (if you just compare the sizes of System.XML.dll you
> will see that the CF version is about 20 times smaller, so they
> obviously left out a lot).
>
> My question is: has anyone had any experience with other (custom, off
> the shelf etc.) serializers? In particular, has anyone had any
> experience with JSON for .NET? I still prefer, if possible, to use a
> serializer that uses humanly-readable and not binary format)
>
> Thanks
> Ivan

Thanks,

I also found this:

http://www.codeplex.com/Json

It is very easy to use, and from my fisrt benchmarking, it seems that
it is at least 5 times faster than the CF XMLSerializer (at least the
de-serialization part, which I am mostly interested in).
I will also try to benchmark the Compact Formatter Plus....