From: David B. on
What would be the point? It is possible to dual boot, you'll have to visit
the laptop mfg's website to see if they provide Windows 7 drivers. There
will be no compatibility issues between x64 hardware and an x86 operating
system, it's been going on for years.

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <#oG0Qc5ZKHA.4688(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Roy Smith
<rasmith1959(a)gmail.com> writes:
[]
>The most a 32 bit version of Windows can have is 4 GB. That said it is
>unlikely that you'll ever see more that 3.2 GB of free memory. This is
>because all of your devices attached to your PC take up memory address
>spaces for things they need to work (i.e. drivers, etc).

Is this why many netbooks have a maximum of 2G?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."
From: Roy Smith on
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <#oG0Qc5ZKHA.4688(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Roy Smith
> <rasmith1959(a)gmail.com> writes:
> []
>> The most a 32 bit version of Windows can have is 4 GB. That said it is
>> unlikely that you'll ever see more that 3.2 GB of free memory. This is
>> because all of your devices attached to your PC take up memory address
>> spaces for things they need to work (i.e. drivers, etc).
>>

> Is this why many netbooks have a maximum of 2G?

No that's a hardware limitation and has nothing to do with Windows RAM
size limit.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
From: Klaus Jorgensen on
John Callaway formulated the question :
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:03:02 -0600, Roy Smith <rasmith1959(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> John Callaway wrote:
>>> How much memory can XP 32 bit OS handle? I want to have Dell build a
>>> dual boot Laptop with both Windows 7 OS & XP 32 bit OS on it. I would
>>> like to have 8 Gig of ram if it XP 32 will handle it.
>>

>> The most a 32 bit version of Windows can have is 4 GB. That said it is
>> unlikely that you'll ever see more that 3.2 GB of free memory. This is
>> because all of your devices attached to your PC take up memory address
>> spaces for things they need to work (i.e. drivers, etc).
>
> OK. I get it. I'll only get 3 gig for ram.

Use the remaining 5Gb as a RAM drive for temporary files etc.
http://www.trap17.com/index.php/4gb-Xp-32bits_t67548.html

--
/klaus

From: Victor on
On 2009-11-17 07:54:18 -0200, John Callaway <jcalla(a)erols.com> said:

> How much memory can XP 32 bit OS handle? I want to have Dell build a
> dual boot Laptop with both Windows 7 OS & XP 32 bit OS on it. I would
> like to have 8 Gig of ram if it XP 32 will handle it.
>
> JPC

32 bits' OS only suport 3,25 Gig. More than that you have to install a 64 bits.