From: FrankEdwards on
Is this easily done? Just configure the bios to boot of that external
device and should it work? Do I need special drivers for the boot device?
From: Bob I on
You may INSTALL XP FROM an external device IF the motherboard supports
booting from it. XP doesn't support RUNNING from an external drive if
that's what you are asking.

From: FrankEdwards on
I said boot. I meant boot. :) Running an OS off a USB device would have
horrible performance I would think, wouldn't it? We're talking USB 2 here
not USB 3. USB 3 will be a different matter. That will really change a
lot of interconnectivity issues.

From: Bob I on
Only if you can make it(XP) believe the device in question is NOT
Removable/External.

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Is this easily done? Just configure the bios to boot of that external
> device and should it work? Do I need special drivers for the boot device?

Look here:

http://bootableusb.lichy.ca/

or here:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-vista-or-xp-usb-flashpen-drive-with-a-single-click-must-try/