From: smlunatick on
On Apr 27, 1:52 pm, FrankEdwards <n...(a)frank.here> wrote:
> Is this easily done?  Just configure the bios to boot of that external
> device and should it work?  Do I need special drivers for the boot device?

PC will boot off a USB flash / hard drive but only if it it not a
Windows XP.
From: FrankEdwards on
>> Is this easily done? Just configure the bios to boot of that external
>> device and should it work? Do I need special drivers for the boot
>> device?
>
> PC will boot off a USB flash / hard drive but only if it it not a
> Windows XP.

What? Can you try that again? (Proof reading works.)
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 27, 5:35 pm, FrankEdwards <n...(a)frank.here> wrote:
> >> Is this easily done?  Just configure the bios to boot of that external
> >> device and should it work?  Do I need special drivers for the boot
> >> device?
>
> > PC will boot off a USB flash / hard drive but only if it it not a
> > Windows XP.
>
> What?  Can you try that again?  (Proof reading works.)

You can get most standard PCs to boot off a USB hard drive only if the
drive is not boot a Windows directly. Microsoft has purposely made
most Windows to not permit to boot off a USB device. Their only
exceptions are USB floppy drive access for additional drivers and USB
CD / DVD drives for the "true" Windows install disks.

Several other operating systems (aka Linux) can directly boot up from
a USB drive. And some "ingenious" Windows users have been known to be
successful in "cloning" a valid XP onto a USB drive and got it to boot.
From: FrankEdwards on
Upon rereading this I think I may have used the wrong wording. To
clarify, I want to install WinXP from a USB drive or another Sata drive.
When I said "Boot off" I should have said "Boot and Install off a memory
card". I'm pretty sure most Bioses these days allow one to boot of a USB
external device, right?
From: Bob I on
You will need to set it to Boot from USB if it isn't already set. See
below for install methods

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=install+xp+from+flash+drive&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=install+XP+&gs_rfai=&fp=2edb0d09f429b650