From: Jasper2000 on
Hi,

I'm looking at a problem for somebody, and am not all that familiar
with wireless "stuff" etc. Hoping someone can assist.

So, there is an XP desktop (192.168.1.240 / 255.255.200.0), which is
wired, and an XP laptop (10.50.0.101 / 255.255.255.0), which is
wireless. Both have addresses assigned by DHCP.

They can both connect to the Internet okay, and the laptop can ping
the desktop. They are both in a Workgroup called "WORKGROUP" but when
browsing the network, the only thing they see are themselves, not the
other computer.

The laptop needs to print to a printer attached, and shared, by the
Desktop. Apparently this worked until recently, and "nothing has
changed" (of course!). Additionally, the Workgroups were also
different until I changed them. However, I am assured that this did
work previously.

I'm first a bit confused by the subnet of the desktop, which seems
invalid to me, but it's automatically assigned so I guess it must be
alright. (reason I'm confused is that I tried to assign 192.168.1.241
to the laptop, with the same subnet as the desktop and it said the
subnet was invalid).

XP's "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is turned
on, on the laptop, and the printer is definitely shared.

I can't help thinking (with my limited network knowledge) that they
need to be in the same IP range/subnet for the laptop to see the
desktop, but these addresses are automatically assigned, and it did,
like I said, apparently work until very recently. If needs be I can
manually assign an IP to the laptop, but not the desktop.

Any ideas, assistance, etc, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

From: Jack (MS, MVP-Networking) on
Hi
I do not know how the Network is configured and what Network hardware is
involved.
XP desktop 192.168.1.240 / 255.255.200.0
XP laptop 10.50.0.101 / 255.255.255.0
It means that the computers are Not on the same Network and thus will Not
Share.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).