From: Kernel on
If XP can only use 3 GB of RAM, could I install two 2 GB sticks and just let
it choose? The reason being is I'm going to build a new PC and it appears
that 4 GB may be cheaper/easier to find that one 2 GB and one 1 GB.

TIA.

From: John John - MVP on
Kernel wrote:
> If XP can only use 3 GB of RAM, could I install two 2 GB sticks and just let
> it choose? The reason being is I'm going to build a new PC and it appears
> that 4 GB may be cheaper/easier to find that one 2 GB and one 1 GB.

Sure, no problem at all. Install 4GB and the OS will use what it can,
the rest will just go unused but it won't cause any problems.

John
From: Kernel on
Thanks for the speedy answer. Now I'm off shopping for some parts...

From: John John - MVP on
You're welcome, have fun shopping.

John

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:28:18 -0700, "Kernel" <kernel64(a)bosworth33net>
wrote:

> If XP can only use 3 GB of RAM, could I install two 2 GB sticks and just let
> it choose? The reason being is I'm going to build a new PC and it appears
> that 4 GB may be cheaper/easier to find that one 2 GB and one 1 GB.

Yes, that's no problem.

But bear in mind that "XP can only use 3 GB of RAM" is not completely
accurate. Here's the correct info:

All 32-bit client versions of Windows (not just Vista/XP/7) have a 4GB
address space (64-bit versions can use much more). That's the
theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.

But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you
have a 4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM.
That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not
available to the operating system and applications. The amount you can
use varies, depending on what hardware you have installed, but can
range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB. It's usually around
3.1GB.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual
RAM itself. If you have a greater amount of RAM, the rest of the RAM
goes unused because there is no address space to map it to.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup