From: John Wunderlich on
Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in

> What can I do to find out why there are disconnect and logoff
> requests posted to the domain controller (172.30.177.70)???
> And most importantly to stop it from happening....

I'm assuming that .35 is the server you're connected to, .70 is the
domain controller, and .14 is yourself. It seems strange to me that
you can record a packet between your server and the domain controller
unless you are using hubs instead of switches... and it does seem
strange to see the disconnect/logoff.

You've reached the limit of my knowledge.
All I could come up with on the KB articles is the following. You
can check it out and see if it applies:

"Your system stops responding, you experience slow file server
performance, or delays occur when you work with files that are
located on a file server"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822219>

Good Luck,
John
From: Bo Berglund on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:10:20 -0800, John Wunderlich
<jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in
>
>> What can I do to find out why there are disconnect and logoff
>> requests posted to the domain controller (172.30.177.70)???
>> And most importantly to stop it from happening....
>>

>I'm assuming that .35 is the server you're connected to, .70 is the
>domain controller, and .14 is yourself. It seems strange to me that
>you can record a packet between your server and the domain controller
>unless you are using hubs instead of switches... and it does seem
>strange to see the disconnect/logoff.
>
>You've reached the limit of my knowledge.
>All I could come up with on the KB articles is the following. You
>can check it out and see if it applies:
>
>"Your system stops responding, you experience slow file server
>performance, or delays occur when you work with files that are
>located on a file server"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822219>

Well, the IP:s are:
Server .70 (this is the primary DC, there is a second one at .78)
Laptop .35 (The SMB traffic is originating from my laptop)
Filesrv .14 ( this is the file server on which I have my mapped
drives. I don't know why this comes up for the
keepalive stuff..)

I will have a look at the KB, but all of these blackouts happen when i
am working with *local* files. Basically while I am editing and
testing programs I develop using the Delphi 7 IDE.
For example, if I need to save a new file in the IDE there will be a
save as dislog coming up and this will be completely locked up if it
hits a blackout period. After the 3 minutes it wakes up..

I do have a few mapped drives to our file server, but I have no open
files on either of them.
Also, of course I have a couple of registered printers on the network
and Windows is for some reason checking on these periodically even
though I am not at all printing anything...

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bo Berglund on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:09:53 +0100, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

I have now made an experiment:
- Connected from home via Cisco VPN to the corporate LAN.
- Started my test application and Wireshark to see how the blackouts
would look in this scenario.

Result: After some 15 hours of logging I have not yet encountered any
SMB/UNC blackout! :-)

With the direct connection to the LAN at work I get something like one
blackout of 3 minutes every half hour or so.

Strange.....
--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: John Wunderlich on

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:09:53 +0100, Bo Berglund
> <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:
>
> I have now made an experiment:
> - Connected from home via Cisco VPN to the corporate LAN.
> - Started my test application and Wireshark to see how the
> blackouts would look in this scenario.
>
> Result: After some 15 hours of logging I have not yet encountered
> any SMB/UNC blackout! :-)
>
> With the direct connection to the LAN at work I get something like
> one blackout of 3 minutes every half hour or so.
>
> Strange.....

Hmmm... Maybe not so strange.

I know that the Cisco VPN client contains a Stateful Firewall. This
firewall is enabled even when the VPN client isn't active and can
interfere with Microsoft Networking even (particularly?) when not
active.

Test: Startup the Cisco VPN Client. Before connecting, click on
"Options" Menu and make sure there is *not* a checkmark in front of
"Stateful firewall (Always on)". Close the client afterward. See if
this clears up your problem.

Microsoft has a KB article that [kind of] addresses this:
"Internet firewalls can prevent browsing and file sharing"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298804>

HTH,
John

From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:48:32 -0800, John Wunderlich
<jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:09:53 +0100, Bo Berglund
>> <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:
>>
>> I have now made an experiment:
>> - Connected from home via Cisco VPN to the corporate LAN.
>> - Started my test application and Wireshark to see how the
>> blackouts would look in this scenario.
>>
>> Result: After some 15 hours of logging I have not yet encountered
>> any SMB/UNC blackout! :-)
>>
>> With the direct connection to the LAN at work I get something like
>> one blackout of 3 minutes every half hour or so.
>>
>> Strange.....
>
>Hmmm... Maybe not so strange.
>
>I know that the Cisco VPN client contains a Stateful Firewall. This
>firewall is enabled even when the VPN client isn't active and can
>interfere with Microsoft Networking even (particularly?) when not
>active.
>
>Test: Startup the Cisco VPN Client. Before connecting, click on
>"Options" Menu and make sure there is *not* a checkmark in front of
>"Stateful firewall (Always on)". Close the client afterward. See if
>this clears up your problem.
>
>Microsoft has a KB article that [kind of] addresses this:
>"Internet firewalls can prevent browsing and file sharing"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298804>
>
>HTH,
> John
Thanks for the tip, but that setting was already OFF....
I have contacted the IT department and we willl change out my HP
docking station and move my network patch to anoter switch on Monday
to see if there is a difference.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)