From: Bo Berglund on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:01:44 +0100, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>Thanks for the tip, but that setting was already OFF....
>I have contacted the IT department and we willl change out my HP
>docking station and move my network patch to anoter switch on Monday
>to see if there is a difference.

Didn't change the docking station yet, but I changed from using the
wired network in the office to using the WiFi instead.
This turned out to work just fine, no blackouts for almost a full day.
So then the IT department tried to patch my network connection into a
different switch to see if that would help, but it did not. In less
than a half our after I returned to using the Broadcomm Gigabit NIC
via the re-patched network cable I had the blackouts again...

So the situation now is like this:
+ No blackout if I use the office WiFi network.
+ No blackout if I use the Cisco VPN from home.
+ Blackouts if I use the Broadcomm NIC via the docking station.

Next to test:
+ Change out the docking station, then use the Broadcomm NIC.
+ Use the Broadcomm NIC without the docking station entirely.

The latter is harder because I will lose my office wide screen display
(no DVI on my laptop) and oter gadgets hooked to the docking
station....

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: John Wunderlich on
Bo Berglund <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in

> Didn't change the docking station yet, but I changed from using
> the wired network in the office to using the WiFi instead. This
> turned out to work just fine, no blackouts for almost a full day.
> So then the IT department tried to patch my network connection
> into a different switch to see if that would help, but it did not.
> In less than a half our after I returned to using the Broadcomm
> Gigabit NIC via the re-patched network cable I had the blackouts
> again...
>
> So the situation now is like this:
>+ No blackout if I use the office WiFi network. + No blackout if I
>use the Cisco VPN from home. + Blackouts if I use the Broadcomm NIC
>via the docking station.
>
> Next to test:
>+ Change out the docking station, then use the Broadcomm NIC. + Use
>the Broadcomm NIC without the docking station entirely.
>
> The latter is harder because I will lose my office wide screen
> display (no DVI on my laptop) and oter gadgets hooked to the
> docking station....

You're really going after this with a vengence. In that event, let
me offer another suggestion. It might be a Master Browser issue on
your subnet. When you use WiFi or VPN, you tend to be about the
only machine on the subnet so things work better. On a wired LAN,
if only one other machine on your subnet has a firewall going (e.g.
Cisco), it can kill the master browser for the entire subnet. I
have gotten pretty good at finding these machines using Microsoft's
"Browstat.exe" program. The procedure goes something like this...
Step 1 is to determine the master browser on your subnet. From a
command Window (start->run->"cmd") issue the following command:

browstat status

It should reply quickly. If it takes a while or if the second line
starts: "Master name cannot be determined..." this is an indication
of a problem. If you get this, then issue the command:

browstat el 1 domain

where "1" is your network number as determined from the reply from a
"browstat dn" command and "domain" is replaced with your domain.
Then wait 25-30 seconds and repeat the "browstat status" command.
If all is well, the second line should read:

"Master browser name is: Comp01"

where "Comp01" is the name of the master browser on your subnet.

Next, ask the master browser for a list of machines on your subnet:

browstat vw 1 \\Comp01 0x40000000

where "1" and "Comp01" are replaced appropriately as above.

Look at the list that was just printed. There should be *exactly
one* line that contains the Master Browser designation "MBR". If
you see more than one, then chances are that the ones other than the
<Comp01> one have firewalls up and are disrupting Master Browsing on
the subnet. Hint: A quick way to show these is to type the
following:

browstat vw 1 \\Comp01 0x40000000 | find "MBR"

Once you discover the offending computers, you can correct the
problem by either turning off their firewall so that they behave
appropriately or you can stop/disable their "Computer Browser"
service either via "services.msc" or by command line:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters /v MaintainServerList /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d false /f

Good Luck,
John
From: Bo Berglund on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:02:01 GMT, John Wunderlich
<jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:

>> So the situation now is like this:
>>+ No blackout if I use the office WiFi network. + No blackout if I
>>use the Cisco VPN from home. + Blackouts if I use the Broadcomm NIC
>>via the docking station.
>>
>> Next to test:
>>+ Change out the docking station, then use the Broadcomm NIC.
>>+ Use the Broadcomm NIC without the docking station entirely.
>>
>> The latter is harder because I will lose my office wide screen
>> display (no DVI on my laptop) and oter gadgets hooked to the
>> docking station....

Today I went through the whole exercise:
- Changed docking station - no difference
- Used a different network outlet - no difference
- Connected the network directly to the laptop (no docking station at
all) - No difference

The only working solution so far at the office is WiFi.

The IT department is stumped as well....

I will use all of the hints below to see if anything works out.
But tomorrow is the last day at the office for almost 3 weeks so I
might not get it all done.

Thanks for your valued help!

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bo Berglund on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:31:27 +0100, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>I will use all of the hints below to see if anything works out.
>But tomorrow is the last day at the office for almost 3 weeks so I
>might not get it all done.
>
>Thanks for your valued help!
>>
>>You're really going after this with a vengence. In that event, let
>>me offer another suggestion. It might be a Master Browser issue on
>>your subnet. When you use WiFi or VPN, you tend to be about the
>>only machine on the subnet so things work better. On a wired LAN,
>>if only one other machine on your subnet has a firewall going (e.g.
>>Cisco), it can kill the master browser for the entire subnet. I
>>have gotten pretty good at finding these machines using Microsoft's
>>"Browstat.exe" program. The procedure goes something like this...
>>Step 1 is to determine the master browser on your subnet. From a
>>command Window (start->run->"cmd") issue the following command:
>>
>> browstat status

With WiFi network (lines may wrap). My PC is named WVBYBOBEL:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat status

Status for domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: WVBYBOBEL
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master WVBYBOBEL
\\WVBYBOBEL
There are 1 servers in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
There are 1 domains in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}

Status for domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: WVBYBOBEL
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master WVBYBOBEL
\\WVBYBOBEL
There are 1 servers in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}
There are 1 domains in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}

Status for domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8F9702A3-96B8-48CB-A370-595203982F57}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: WVBYBOBEL
Master browser is running build 2600
3 backup servers retrieved from master WVBYBOBEL
\\WMONBERAXP
\\3RTS01
\\WBERALARC
Unable to retrieve server list from WVBYBOBEL: 71

Then I disconnected WiFi and connected wired network:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat status

Status for domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: WVBYBOBEL
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master WVBYBOBEL
\\WVBYBOBEL
There are 1 servers in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
There are 1 domains in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}

Status for domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: WVBYBOBEL
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master WVBYBOBEL
\\WVBYBOBEL
There are 1 servers in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}
There are 1 domains in domain SYSTEM3R on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}

>>It should reply quickly. If it takes a while or if the second line
>>starts: "Master name cannot be determined..." this is an indication
>>of a problem. If you get this, then issue the command:
>>
>> browstat el 1 domain
>>
>>where "1" is your network number as determined from the reply from a
>>"browstat dn" command and "domain" is replaced with your domain.

This produces the following output:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat dn

List of transports currently bound to the browser

1 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
2 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat vw 1 \\WVBYBOBEL 0x40000000
Remoting NetServerEnum to \\WVBYBOBEL on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3} with flags
40000000
1 entries returned. 1 total. 16 milliseconds

\\WVBYBOBEL NT 05.01 (W,S,SQL,NT,PBR,MBR)

>>Then wait 25-30 seconds and repeat the "browstat status" command.
>>If all is well, the second line should read:
>>
>> "Master browser name is: Comp01"
>>
>>where "Comp01" is the name of the master browser on your subnet.
>>
>>Next, ask the master browser for a list of machines on your subnet:
>>
>> browstat vw 1 \\Comp01 0x40000000
>>
>>where "1" and "Comp01" are replaced appropriately as above.

Here I got this (tried both network numbers):

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat dn

List of transports currently bound to the browser

1 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
2 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat vw 1 \\WVBYBOBEL 0x40000000
Remoting NetServerEnum to \\WVBYBOBEL on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3} with flags
40000000
1 entries returned. 1 total. 16 milliseconds

\\WVBYBOBEL NT 05.01 (W,S,SQL,NT,PBR,MBR)

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat vw 2 \\WVBYBOBEL 0x40000000
Remoting NetServerEnum to \\WVBYBOBEL on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61} with flags
40000000
1 entries returned. 1 total. 0 milliseconds

\\WVBYBOBEL NT 05.01 (W,S,SQL,NT,PBR,MBR)

>>Look at the list that was just printed. There should be *exactly
>>one* line that contains the Master Browser designation "MBR". If
>>you see more than one, then chances are that the ones other than the
>><Comp01> one have firewalls up and are disrupting Master Browsing on
>>the subnet. Hint: A quick way to show these is to type the
>>following:
>>
>> browstat vw 1 \\Comp01 0x40000000 | find "MBR"
>>
>>Once you discover the offending computers, you can correct the
>>problem by either turning off their firewall so that they behave
>>appropriately or you can stop/disable their "Computer Browser"
>>service either via "services.msc" or by command line:
>>
>> reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters /v MaintainServerList /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d false /f

Looks like it is not this issue either....
My best bet now seems to be to go wireless for good. The wired network
connection is 10% blackouts now....

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: John Wunderlich on

> C:\Program Files\Support Tools>browstat dn
>
> List of transports currently bound to the browser
>
> 1 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{741442F2-B450-42F7-967E-00AD8658A7F3}
> 2 \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3DD7AF76-C9DB-47AB-AC09-5FD763FDFD61}

[...]
> Looks like it is not this issue either....
> My best bet now seems to be to go wireless for good. The wired
> network connection is 10% blackouts now....

You're right. This doesn't seem to be the problem. But it does point
out another issue. It appears you have 2 transports bound to the
browser for the same domain (SYSTEM3R). It might be that only one of
these is actually connected in an operational sense (probably #1) and
if it picks the wrong binding, you may be waiting for a long timeout
before trying the other binding. When working wireless or over VPN,
you may only have one active binding -- eliminating your problem.

To test this, try un-binding one of the connections. The following
command will unbind connection #2 above, leaving only connection #1:

browstat unbind 2

Then test it with only one binding. This "unbinding" is temporary and
will hold until your next reboot. If #2 is the wrong one, try #1.

[As you might guess, "browstat" has more parameters than it advertises
in "browstat /help"]

HTH,
John