From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Where do I look?  (It's the HD light that flickers, in case that's a
> misunderstanding; the worry is that it shortens the HD life if it
> operates once a second 24/7).

I am speaking of the hard disk light. Some optical drives put up
periodic activity on the ATA bus.

The only clearcut method I know of to determine if this is the problem
is to disconnect the drive and see if the misbehavior clears up.

If that's not the problem, I think SysInternals has a tool that might
help you find the offending program. You could also try booting in
safe mode, or even into another operating system to see if the bad
behavior continues.

William