From: Henry on
I'm running WinXP SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig of RAM.

I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
SP3 and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.

1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)

2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
happens and your computer gets screwed up.

3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.

With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
running.

With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.

What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2? Will I not get any
further updates at all?

Signed Scared

Henry
From: Grinder on
On 6/29/2010 11:31 PM, Henry wrote:
> I'm running WinXP SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install SP3
> and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.

That's not been my experience at all. In fact, to my recollection the
whining about SP3 mostly subsided with a couple months of its release.

> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2? Will I not get any
> further updates at all?

Probably, but that sounds like your preference anyway.
From: Peter on
In article <i0ehat$uo2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, wa0goz(a)arrl.net
says...
> I'm running WinXP SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
> SP3 and on newsgroups. It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1. Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2. It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3. It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2? Will I not get any
> further updates at all?
>
> Signed Scared
>
> Henry

Have installed SP3 on dozens of occasions on various machines without
any of the issues you listed.

Also the requirement of a clean install just because you have SP3 would
be unnecessary if you couldn't get into windows for some reason. A
repair install should be sufficient.

--
Pete Ives