From: jeff_wisnia on
My XP (Dell) computer suddenly started running extremely slow. It takes
about 5 minutes to boot up completely and when trying to run progams it
takes up to a minute after clicking an icon before the program opens.

Then programs which do open run slow when they have to open new windows.

So far I've:

Done a virus scan with McAffe (nothing found) and then uninstalled
McAffe and installed AVG.

Ran two different registry cleaning programs

Did a HD cleanup and a defrag.

It's only using 10% of the HD, and I've got plenty of memory left.

What next?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
From: SC Tom on

"jeff_wisnia" <jwisniadumpthis(a)conversent.net> wrote in message
> My XP (Dell) computer suddenly started running extremely slow. It takes
> about 5 minutes to boot up completely and when trying to run progams it
> takes up to a minute after clicking an icon before the program opens.
>
> Then programs which do open run slow when they have to open new windows.
>
> So far I've:
>
> Done a virus scan with McAffe (nothing found) and then uninstalled McAffe
> and installed AVG.
>
> Ran two different registry cleaning programs
>
> Did a HD cleanup and a defrag.
>
> It's only using 10% of the HD, and I've got plenty of memory left.
>
> What next?
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff
> --
> Jeffry Wisnia
> (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
> The speed of light is 1.8*10e12 furlongs per fortnight.

Download and run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. If your system still
comes up clean, try running a System Restore to a point in time before you
started having a problem.
--
SC Tom