From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, live.fx,

Du meintest am 31.03.10:

> I have some complaints from Win XP users.
> Win XP clients regularly lost samba share - mapped as network drive.
> I don`t see any errors in logs.

> 1. I have 4 linux machines, with mapped SAMBA 3.5 shares as CIFS. -
> never lost.
> 2. Some Windows XP clients have this problem, but some is not.

> Why i ask ? Because the same clients did not lose a mapped network
> drive while was WIN 2003 Server.

How do they lose the connection?
I am working in a (very small) LAN with a Samba 3.4.x server, a Windows-
2000 client and a Windows XP-Home client.

The Windows 2000 client always loses the working connection and shows
(in the Windows Explorer) a red colored symbol for the share and
"target" in the contents window. Clicking mostly doesn't reconnect.
"searching" the computer or "net view <IP address>" reconnects.

The XP home client doesn't show such nasty things.

In both cases: no domain connection.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

Hi, Helmut

>> How do they lose the connection?
I am working in a (very small) LAN with a Samba 3.4.x server, a Windows-
2000 client and a Windows XP-Home client.

They just can not use "P" drive after some time.
1. User simple mount network share as permanent drive named "P". All ok.
2. Some time later,in the morning, user come and starting the job and see
disconnected drive "P".
3. I very confused, because i have 2 Win XP Professional clients, who never
lost mapped disks. Second thing = They never had same problems with 2003 (as
they say)

My primary questions:

This looks like stupid question, and i know that. What samba parameters
affect the connecting clients time ? May be samba has some default "dropping
dead connections" timers and think what client is "dead" ?

Thanks for all opinions..
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM, live.fx <live.fx.mail(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Helmut
>
>>> How do they lose the connection?
> I am working in a (very small) LAN with a Samba 3.4.x server, a Windows-
> 2000 client and a Windows XP-Home client.
>
> They just can not use "P" drive after some time.
> 1. User simple mount network share as permanent drive named "P". All ok.
> 2. Some time later,in the morning, user come and starting the job and see
> disconnected drive "P".
> 3. I very confused, because i have 2 Win XP Professional clients, who never
> lost mapped disks. Second thing = They never had same problems with 2003 (as
> they say)

Automatic disconnection after a period of inactivity is normal and by
clicking on the drive reconnect without issue. Is that not working?

John
Hallo, John,

Du meintest am 31.03.10:

>>> I am working in a (very small) LAN with a Samba 3.4.x server, a
>>> Windows- 2000 client and a Windows XP-Home client.

>> They just can not use "P" drive after some time.
>> 1. User simple mount network share as permanent drive named "P". All
>> ok. 2. Some time later,in the morning, user come and starting the
>> job and see disconnected drive "P".
>> 3. I very confused, because i have 2 Win XP Professional clients,
>> who never lost mapped disks. Second thing = They never had same
>> problems with 2003 (as they say)

> Automatic disconnection after a period of inactivity is normal and by
> clicking on the drive reconnect without issue. Is that not working?

Windows XP Home (in my LAN): no such problem.
Windows 2000: automatic disconnection. And clicking on the share name
doesn't help in any case, clicking on the "target" icon doesn't help in
any case (sometimes it helps).

Only "net view <IP-address>" or "search computer" does reconnect in
every case. Nasty.

Changing the registry as shown in

<http://arktur.de/FAQ/content/38/217/de/samba_freigabe-verschwindet.html>

doesn't help. I've set "disconnect" to 7220, but the system (Windows
2000) disconnects after about 15 minutes.

Samba 3.2, 3.4 and 3.5

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut