From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>
<entire spawning conversation>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize/browse_frm/thread/ec775c862a23718e/

Twayne wrote:
> Well, there' s a couple recommendations there
> but no reference for why they're relevant.
> People should really learn how to trim. The
> OP's original quest should never be snipped.

"Never" is a bit overdone.

For example, my response has nothing to do with the OP or the suggestions
made to them - but with a statement you have made that also had nothing to
do with the OP. Therefore - why waste a lot of text space (although I do
normally link the Google Groups archive for posterity) with unrelated
information? So I did not - I responded to you and quoted the your message
text - which is what I am responding to.

"Never" is a long time, situations change and come up unexpectantly and very
few things can actually have the word 'never' applied to them.

Bad practice to snip the original message if your responding to the
OP/suggesting something to the OP - generally agreed. Gone off on a
side-conversation - spawned from but perhaps not directly related to the
original message - it depends.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Binyamin Dissen on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:01:40 -0700 "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

[Posted and mailed]

:>On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:35:15 -0000, "Tim Meddick"
:><timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote:
:>
:>> I suppose you could try tampering with XP's code, either with a resource "hacker"
:>> program or by some other reverse-engineering of WinXP...
:>>
:>> But it is definitely Windows default behaviour to only display the TIME on a one-bar
:>> setup and then only adding the DAY then the DATE as other tiers are added.
:>>
:>> But you could ditch Window's clock altogether and use a small (and free) program
:>> called TCLOCK.exe
:>>
:>> With this, you can configure loads of Taskbar-related stuff and takes up virtually no
:>> memory.
:>>
:>> (I like having the seconds ticking over in the taskbar clock - impossible with native
:>> WinXP!)
:>>
:>> Download TClock.exe (ZIP-file install) directly from :
:>> http://homepage1.nifty.com/kazubon/tclocklight/tclocklight-040702-3.zip
:>
:>
:>
:>I'll second the motion for TCLock, which is my favorite program of
:>that type. But I'll add a word of caution: do not mix up TClock.exe
:>with TCLockex.exe. Despite the similarity of their names, they are two
:>different programs, and in my view, TClock is much better than
:>TClockex.

I have been using tclockex. What are the issues, and why do you recommend
tclock above it (I have not examined tclock)?

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdissen(a)dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:46:40 +0200, Binyamin Dissen
<postingid(a)dissensoftware.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:01:40 -0700 "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> [Posted and mailed]

If you sent an e-mail message to the address above, you certainly
didn't reach me. I use that address here because I don't want to get
personal replies.

> :>On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:35:15 -0000, "Tim Meddick"
> :><timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote:

> :>> Download TClock.exe (ZIP-file install) directly from :
> :>> http://homepage1.nifty.com/kazubon/tclocklight/tclocklight-040702-3.zip
> :>
> :>
> :>
> :>I'll second the motion for TCLock, which is my favorite program of
> :>that type. But I'll add a word of caution: do not mix up TClock.exe
> :>with TCLockex.exe. Despite the similarity of their names, they are two
> :>different programs, and in my view, TClock is much better than
> :>TClockex.
>
> I have been using tclockex. What are the issues, and why do you recommend
> tclock above it (I have not examined tclock)?

Sorry, it's been so long since I compared the two (five years or
more?) that I can't even remember the differences, let alone why I
greatly preferred TClock. But my recommendation is to try TCLock and
compare the two yourself.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Nil on
On 10 Mar 2010, Big_Al <BigAl(a)md.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> You might try Alfa Clock. I think its better than Tclock.
> http://shareware.pcmag.com/product.php%5Bid%5D90612%5Bcid%5D46%5BSiteID%5Dpcmag
> You have to get version 1.90 because later versions
> are not free. 1.90 was the last free version out.

Alfaclock 1.90 can't be found any more. The only "free" version left
is 1.99... which was free for a few months until it expired in July
2009. It doesn't look like they plan to offer a free version.
Actually, to look at the site, it looks like the whole company has
been abandoned.

Too bad - I liked the free one, but it's not worth $40 for the pay
one (if it's even still available.)

I use TClockEX, and it works fine for me. Some slight display issues,
but nothing I can't live with. I like the pop-up calendar.
From: Tim Meddick on
Judging by what "Nil" wrote in his reply, that "TClockEx" has a "Pop-up calendar", I
am thinking the most obvious difference between it and "TClock.exe" is probably going
to be that it is much lighter [smaller] and therefore tend to be more reliable, not
least on display quality (video memory).

Even when I am using all it's options to choose :

*my own custom "Start Button" text and image,

*my own "Start Menu" scrolling image,
(a replacement image in classic menus that usually shows the words "Windows XP")

*and my own custom non-standard time format.
(including seconds - why I got it in the first place).

Again, here is the direct download URL (374k) below :
http://homepage1.nifty.com/kazubon/tclocklight/tclocklight-040702-3.zip

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)