From: Kev on
I have just installed Windows XP on a laptop that was originally made to run
Vista (a Dell Studio 1537). Obviously the official drivers were no use, so
I have had to find suitable XP versions. All of the important components
are now working fine, apart from the graphics card.

The card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Unfortunately there are no XP
drivers for it either on the Dell site, nor on the AMD site. But after some
searching I found something that looks promising here:
http://downloadnew.org/drivers/graphics-board/hp-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-320034503650-series-driver-856300-download-110816.html#dlink

After downloading and unzipping, this turned out to be Catalyst, although I
cannot tell which version it is. It won't install though. It keeps
displaying messages like "Install Manager failed to initialize".

I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be welcome.

From: Homer Jay Simpson on
"Kev" <ijk(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed Windows XP on a laptop that was originally made to
>run Vista (a Dell Studio 1537). Obviously the official drivers were no
>use, so I have had to find suitable XP versions. All of the important
>components are now working fine, apart from the graphics card.
>
> The card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Unfortunately there are no XP
> drivers for it either on the Dell site, nor on the AMD site. But after
> some searching I found something that looks promising here:
> http://downloadnew.org/drivers/graphics-board/hp-ati-mobility-radeon-hd-320034503650-series-driver-856300-download-110816.html#dlink
>
> After downloading and unzipping, this turned out to be Catalyst, although
> I cannot tell which version it is. It won't install though. It keeps
> displaying messages like "Install Manager failed to initialize".
>
> I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI Mobility
Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.

From: Kev on
> Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
> for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?
>
> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
>
> Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI
> Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.

Thanks. I'll try this.

From: Kev on
> Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
> for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?
>
> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
>
> Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI
> Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.

OK, I have installed this, but what is it meant to do? There are no new
shortcuts in the start menu and the graphics card is still not showing up in
Device Manager.

From: Kev on
> Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off in
> BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
>
> The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip or
> card is currently active.
>
> The video driver install log should show that the install process detected
> the added video card and other details, assuming it actually ran properly.
>
> An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
> when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually part
> of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
>
> A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.

Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif