From: RJK on

"RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there,
> no temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops
> responding, and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048,
> and offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and
> after a few minutes - PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite
> 6 mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into
> outer space again !
>
> ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> regards, Richard

SmartFan / S.M.A.R.T. reports the boot hd as healthy, though I can't help
suspecting ST380815AS boot drive is the culprit,
....or the SATA mobo controller ! ...think I'll try imaging boot drive onto
another hd first :-)

regards, Richard

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 1, 11:30 am, "RJK" <nos...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "RJK" <nos...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> > Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> > Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> > 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> > 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> > 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> > 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> > Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> > ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there,
> > no temp. problems btw !
>
> > running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> > During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops
> > responding, and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> > Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> > and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048,
> > and offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> > rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and
> > after a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> > Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite
> > 6 mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into
> > outer space again !
>
> > ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> > regards, Richard
>
> SmartFan / S.M.A.R.T. reports the boot hd as healthy, though I can't help
> suspecting ST380815AS boot drive is the culprit,
> ...or the SATA mobo controller !  ...think I'll try imaging boot drive onto
> another hd first :-)
>
> regards, Richard

Do not rely on third part SMART tools. Get the manufacturer's
diagnostic (STxxxx = Seagate)

Mother would not be the only cause. Causes:

-- Wrong RAM type
-- Wrong RAM speed
-- Bad drivers
-- "Virus"
-- Spyware
-- HiJacked system
-- Bad PSU or "under powered" PSU
-- Defective cables
-- Poor quality power
-- Bad / Missing "grounding" on power outlet
-- Corrupted XP files