From: jcage on
I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?

Thanks very much...

John
From: Raoul Watson on
jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> John

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
From: relic on

<jcage(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?

Most software works fine, if you find one that doesn't there's an XP Mode
available in Windows 7 Professional and up.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

From: smlunatick on
On Feb 15, 9:09 am, jc...(a)lycos.com wrote:
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software.  I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)?  I heard an 'ultimate' version exists.  If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> John

While it is true that a lot of older XP software "will" work in
Windows 7, there is always a possibility the your software may not.

The two versions that you would be needing to consider is Windows 7
Professional and Ultimate. Both will offer the "free" Windows XP mode
system, as long as the hardware will do the Visualization system.

Professional and Ultimate are the same with Ultimate offering Multi-
language interfaces, Bit-Locker and addition backup features.
From: Star on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:18:30 -0800, "relic" <relic211(a)cjb.net> wrote:

><jcage(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
>> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
>> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
>> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
>> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
>> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
>Most software works fine, if you find one that doesn't there's an XP Mode
>available in Windows 7 Professional and up.
>
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
>
>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Rather than spend the extra money for Professional or Ultimate VMWare
now offers their VMWare Player (for free) which will generate a
virtual machine which will perform better than the scotch tape an
bailing wire virtual machine from MS.
I use virtual machines myself and many people just love them and
always talk about the software that can run but never about the
hardware. A VIRTUAL Machine has no access to the real hardware
installed on the motherboard so even though the software may run in
the Virtual Machine it can not address the motherboard or hardware on
the mother board.

Art