From: adsllxb9 on
jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> Thanks very much...
>
> John

Windows 7 has a feature that emulates XP. Check it out in the chat
forums for Win 7
From: Auric__ on
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:57:29 GMT, adsllxb9 wrote:

> jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
>> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
>> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
>> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
>> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
>> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
>> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>>
>> Thanks very much...
>>
>> John
>
> Windows 7 has a feature that emulates XP. Check it out in the chat
> forums for Win 7

Would that be "Windows XP mode"? *That* is just Virtual PC running XP in
emulation.

--
Tyrant. Betrayer. Parasite. Traitor.
From: smlunatick on
On Mar 7, 10:45 am, adsllxb9 <adsll...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> jc...(a)lycos.com wrote:
> > I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
> > about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
> > software.  I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
> > software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
> > issues)?  I heard an 'ultimate' version exists.  If so, what's the
> > upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>
> > Thanks very much...
>
> > John
>
> Windows 7 has a feature that emulates XP. Check it out in the chat
> forums for Win 7

The XP Mode will only work with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and
Enterprise editions, And you need to have compatible hardware that
will run the XP Mode,

Additional info: answers.microsoft.com
From: adsllxb9 on
smlunatick wrote:
> On Mar 7, 10:45 am, adsllxb9 <adsll...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
>> jc...(a)lycos.com wrote:
>>> I'm looking at a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium and am worried
>>> about the software compatibility with XP since I have a lot of XP
>>> software. I really don't want to dole out huge bucks to upgrade my
>>> software so how can I best avoid it (if there really are compatibility
>>> issues)? I heard an 'ultimate' version exists. If so, what's the
>>> upgrade costs to get to a better compatibility platform?
>>> Thanks very much...
>>> John
>> Windows 7 has a feature that emulates XP. Check it out in the chat
>> forums for Win 7
>
> The XP Mode will only work with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and
> Enterprise editions, And you need to have compatible hardware that
> will run the XP Mode,
>
> Additional info: answers.microsoft.com

Yep thats right and why I sugested the forums on Win 7