From: frogliver on
I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its ease of
integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate programs
from the XP partition to make them useable?

From: ruic on
Programs no! But data yes.

All programs would have to be installed again.

Rui

From: Daave on
frogliver wrote:
> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of
> programs I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and
> its ease of integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I
> were to install Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any
> way to migrate programs from the XP partition to make them useable?

Not really. The only way to migrate the programs is to perform an
in-place upgrade from XP to Vista and then perform a second in-place
upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. And still this only work if your XP
was never corrupted to begin with!

What is it you really want to do? Do you want to fix your presently
corrupted XP system? Or are you in the market for a new PC anyway (one
that presumably is pre-loaded with Windows 7) and plan on transferring
your data and installing all the programs (from scratch -- it's the only
way) you intend to use?

From: db on
you might want to use
microsoft's upgrade
advisor to see if your
machine is compatible
with w7.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: VanguardLH on
frogliver wrote:

> I have XP with a corrupted booting system. There are many years of programs
> I don't want to lose. I was reading info on Windows 7 and its ease of
> integrating some aspects of XP so I am wondering; if I were to install
> Windows 7 on a separate partition would there be any way to migrate programs
> from the XP partition to make them useable?

Since hard disks die, what were you going to do to keep those programs
for which you apparently don't have their installation media?