From: Grumps on
Hi all.
This should be simple, but I'm trying to find a js that will draw a simple
line graph.
I've googled and found loads, and tried several too, but they all lack the
basic requirements.
1) Need to enter x,y coords.
2) Need to be able to define x and y axis upper and lower limits.
3) Need to be able to label and number the axes.
4) Needs to work with FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE (from 6 up).
5) Doesn't have to be free.

http://danvk.org/dygraphs/ is the closest, but I can't find how to set the
axes' values. I'd like hours along the x-axis in steps of 6 hours.
TIA for any suggestions.

From: Ry Nohryb on
On Aug 4, 10:07 pm, "Grumps" <gru...(a)nothere.com> wrote:
> (...)
> http://danvk.org/dygraphs/is the closest, but I can't find how to set the
> axes' values. I'd like hours along the x-axis in steps of 6 hours.
> TIA for any suggestions.

But it renders in a <canvas> and that's not in any IE...
There's a <canvas> plugin/extension for IEs but last time I tried it
it was a complete disaster. And IMO it's not a very good thing to ask
the users to install a plugin to see your page, or is it? I think that
your options are:

Drop IE from the list and use a <canvas> and/or a library such as
http://raphaeljs.com/ (SVG) or any other.

or

use flash,

or

build the graphs on the server, e.g. http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

or

draw the pixels as <td>s in a <table>, e.g. http://jorgechamorro.com/cljs/028/

HTH,
--
Jorge.
From: Grumps on
"Ry Nohryb" <jorge(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote in message
On Aug 4, 10:07 pm, "Grumps" <gru...(a)nothere.com> wrote:
>> (...)
>> http://danvk.org/dygraphs/is the closest, but I can't find how to set the
>> axes' values. I'd like hours along the x-axis in steps of 6 hours.
>> TIA for any suggestions.

>But it renders in a <canvas> and that's not in any IE...
>There's a <canvas> plugin/extension for IEs but last time I tried it
>it was a complete disaster. And IMO it's not a very good thing to ask
>the users to install a plugin to see your page, or is it?

100% not a good idea for my customers.

>I think that
>your options are:

>Drop IE from the list and use a <canvas> and/or a library such as
>http://raphaeljs.com/ (SVG) or any other.

Raphael looks nice and easy. It does seem to work with IE8. Should it work?

>use flash,

Ah, it needs to run on an iPhone (no flash).

>build the graphs on the server, e.g. http://code.google.com/apis/chart/
>draw the pixels as <td>s in a <table>, e.g.
>http://jorgechamorro.com/cljs/028/

I'll look into both of those too.

>HTH,

It does. Thank you.

From: Richard Cornford on
Grumps wrote:
> Ry Nohryb wrote<snip>
>> Drop IE from the list and use a <canvas> and/or a library
>> such as
>> http://raphaeljs.com/ (SVG) or any other.
>
> Raphael looks nice and easy. It does seem to work with IE8.

Did you mean "it doesn't seem to work with IE8"? Otherwise you next
question doesn't make much sense.

> Should it work?
<snip>

IE 8 has an 'interesting' feature where it will not do VML on a page in
'standards' mode, only on pages in 'quirks' mode. As IE 8 doesn't do SVG
Raphael will only work on IE 8 in 'quirks' mode.

Unfortunately that makes the <canvas> emulations that uses VML for its
emulation on IE significantly less viable.

Richard.

From: Grumps on
"Richard Cornford" <Richard(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Grumps wrote:
>> Ry Nohryb wrote<snip>
>>> Drop IE from the list and use a <canvas> and/or a library
>>> such as
>>> http://raphaeljs.com/ (SVG) or any other.
>>
>> Raphael looks nice and easy. It does seem to work with IE8.
>
> Did you mean "it doesn't seem to work with IE8"? Otherwise you next
> question doesn't make much sense.

No. It DOES work. I'm only drawing vectors and circles.

>> Should it work?
> <snip>
>
> IE 8 has an 'interesting' feature where it will not do VML on a page in
> 'standards' mode, only on pages in 'quirks' mode. As IE 8 doesn't do SVG
> Raphael will only work on IE 8 in 'quirks' mode.

Then I guess IE8's quirks mode is good enough to render my Raphael output.

> Unfortunately that makes the <canvas> emulations that uses VML for its
> emulation on IE significantly less viable.

You mean that it shouldn't work?