From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ends today, Tuesday, 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP SP2 "will no longer receive software updates
from Windows Update" (i.e., updates released on or after 27 July 2010) until
SP3 is installed.

� What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 or higher per incident now. [You snooze, you lose.]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: nospam on
I hope this is a dumb question, but will updates released after the 27th
install on a SP2 system if they're installed manually and not via Windows
Update?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Possibly.

From: rif on

I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of computer that update from
SP2 to SP3 have no problems at all (98-99%). By all means backup your
computer before proceeding with the update. For most users it will be
uneventful.

From: Nick L. Odeon on
Why would you hope it's a dumb question?
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
:
: I hope this is a dumb question, but will updates released after the 27th
: install on a SP2 system if they're installed manually and not via Windows
: Update?
:
: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
: > Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ends today, Tuesday, 13 July 2010. After
that date, computers running WinXP SP2 "will no longer
: > receive software updates from Windows Update" (i.e., updates released on
or after 27 July 2010) until SP3 is installed.
: >
[...]
: > --
: > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
: >
: >