From: SS on
I believe that microsoft are pulling support for XP2.
To date I have resisted updating to XP3 due to reading adverse comments
after installation.
Are there any current issues or should I go and install it.

From: Syke on
SS wrote:
> I believe that microsoft are pulling support for XP2.
> To date I have resisted updating to XP3 due to reading adverse comments
> after installation.
> Are there any current issues or should I go and install it.

I can understand your reticence as I was the same, but about a year
ago, I took the plunge and nothing happened at all! Of course I can
only speak for myself, but remember that the people, like me, who had no
issues at all, tend not to mention it and the few (and they are I think)
complain in newsgroups. You'll always find somebody who gets problems
with anything computer-related, but very often they are people who
perhaps don't keep their systems in good condition and so on.

Regards

Syke
From: Johnw on
SS wrote on 13/07/2010 :
> I believe that microsoft are pulling support for XP2.
> To date I have resisted updating to XP3 due to reading adverse comments after
> installation.
> Are there any current issues or should I go and install it.

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
http://www.windowsnewsletter.com/current-issue.html
SP3 download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/cc723731.aspx
Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e
List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/
Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD
http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

From: SS on

"Johnw" <johnmattmel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> SS wrote on 13/07/2010 :
>> I believe that microsoft are pulling support for XP2.
>> To date I have resisted updating to XP3 due to reading adverse comments
>> after installation.
>> Are there any current issues or should I go and install it.
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
> http://www.windowsnewsletter.com/current-issue.html
> SP3 download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
> Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/cc723731.aspx
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e
> List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/
> Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD
> http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Well I have gone and updated and so far no issues.

thanks for the answers guys.

From: Johnw on
SS brought next idea :
> "Johnw" <johnmattmel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> SS wrote on 13/07/2010 :
>>> I believe that microsoft are pulling support for XP2.
>>> To date I have resisted updating to XP3 due to reading adverse comments
>>> after installation.
>>> Are there any current issues or should I go and install it.
>>
>> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>> http://www.windowsnewsletter.com/current-issue.html
>> SP3 download
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
>> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>> Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>> Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/cc723731.aspx
>> Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e
>> List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/
>> Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Your Windows XP Installation CD
>> http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd
>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---
>>
> Well I have gone and updated and so far no issues.
>
> thanks for the answers guys.

You will be Ok, if you were not having
problems/glitches/slowness/infections beforehand, you will be fine.