From: BobbyDazzler on
tblCustomer

custid PK autonumber
custname text
custcode text
custacct yes/no

used in frminvoice as combobox using all 4 fields (custid hidden)

example data in combobox

A D Plumbers | AD0001 | -1
Smith, Andrew | SM0001 | 0

column(3) either shows -1 for true or 0 for false

This field indicates whether the customer is an account holder or not,
if they are then txtsaletype should read "CREDIT SALE" and if they
aren't it should read "CASH SALE"

Once a customer is selected from the drop down list I have this code
running in the afterupdate event:-

If Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = -1 Then
Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1
Else
Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = 0
End If

If Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1 Then
txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"
Else
txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
End If

It doesn't work! Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

David

From: Armen Stein on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:55:21 -0700 (PDT), BobbyDazzler
<david.a.mitchell(a)inbox.com> wrote:

>Once a customer is selected from the drop down list I have this code
>running in the afterupdate event:-
>
>If Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = -1 Then
> Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1
>Else
> Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = 0
>End If
>
>If Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1 Then
> txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"
>Else
> txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
>End If
>

>It doesn't work! Where am I going wrong?

What doesn't work about it?

Why don't you just set the ControlSource of the txtsaletype control
to:

=IIF(Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = 0, "CASH SALE", "CREDIT SALE")

Then you can remove all your after update code.

PS - It is not advisable to use a real email address in a public
newsgroup, as spammers can harvest addresses from here.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

From: BobbyDazzler on
On Mar 19, 2:20 pm, Armen Stein <ArmenSt...(a)removethisgmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:55:21 -0700 (PDT), BobbyDazzler
>

> <david.a.mitch...(a)inbox.com> wrote:
> >Once a customer is selected from the drop down list I have this code
> >running in the afterupdate event:-
>
> >If Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = -1 Then
> >    Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1
> >Else
> >    Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = 0
> >End If
>
> >If Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1 Then
> >   txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"
> >Else
> >   txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
> >End If
>
> >It doesn't work!  Where am I going wrong?
>
> What doesn't work about it?

It doesn't chamge from Yes to No and No to Yes as it should

> Why don't you just set the ControlSource of the txtsaletype control
> to:
>
> =IIF(Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = 0, "CASH SALE", "CREDIT SALE")
>
> Then you can remove all your after update code.

This isn't the only place that the info can be set from. The form is
used for new invoices, view invoices, view uninvoiced and view upaid
invoice
all with different recordsources!

So needs to be this way.
> PS - It is not advisable to use a real email address in a public
> newsgroup, as spammers can harvest addresses from here.

It's ok, this is my spam email address!

From: Bob Quintal on
BobbyDazzler <david.a.mitchell(a)inbox.com> wrote in
:

> tblCustomer
>
> custid PK autonumber
> custname text
> custcode text
> custacct yes/no
>
> used in frminvoice as combobox using all 4 fields (custid hidden)
>
> example data in combobox
>
> A D Plumbers | AD0001 | -1
> Smith, Andrew | SM0001 | 0
>
> column(3) either shows -1 for true or 0 for false
>
> This field indicates whether the customer is an account holder or
> not, if they are then txtsaletype should read "CREDIT SALE" and if
> they aren't it should read "CASH SALE"
>

> Once a customer is selected from the drop down list I have this
> code running in the afterupdate event:-
>
> If Me!cboSelect.Column(3) = -1 Then
> Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1
> Else
> Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = 0
> End If
>
> If Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = -1 Then
> txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"
> Else
> txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
> End If
>

> It doesn't work! Where am I going wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Where are you going wrong? do you want the long list or the short
one?
the short list is
1) .Column(n) is ZERO-based, so your columns are 0,1,2 not 1,2,3
2) you are using the literal -1 and 0 instead of True and False
3) what is txtsaletype? the name implies a textbox, which should be
prefixed with Me! or Form!Name!
4) you are using multiple if-else blocks where only 1 is needed.

If Me!cboSelect.Column(2) Then
Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = True
Mew!txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"
Else
Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = False
Mew!txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
End If

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.
From: BobbyDazzler on
> Where are you going wrong? do you want the long  list or the short
> one?

Give me the long one!

> the short list is
> 1) .Column(n) is ZERO-based, so your columns are 0,1,2 not 1,2,3

Yeah, I know, there are four columns! 0,1,2,3

> 2) you are using the literal -1 and 0 instead of True and False

ok, have changed

> 3) what is txtsaletype? the name implies a textbox, which should be
> prefixed with Me! or Form!Name!

your right, it was in my app I retyped instead of copying and pasting

> 4) you are using multiple if-else blocks where only 1 is needed.
>
> If Me!cboSelect.Column(2) Then

is there somthing missing on this line?

>    Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = True
>    Mew!txtsaletype = "CREDIT SALE"

is this a typo?

> Else
>    Me!chkCustomerAcctHeld = False
>    Mew!txtsaletype = "CASH SALE"
> End If

Tried with Me! and with True/False and without multiple ifs and still
doesn't work!