From: BobG on
A loadword and storeword instruction from sram, maybe 3 cycle and
atomic operation, would really shrink a lot of AVR programs. Faster.
Smaller Cheaper. Whats the chance of this happening? See thread on
avrfreaks.
From: -jg on
On Jun 17, 1:00 am, BobG <bobgard...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> A loadword and storeword instruction from sram, maybe 3 cycle and
> atomic operation, would really shrink a lot of AVR programs. Faster.
> Smaller Cheaper. Whats the chance of this happening? See thread on
> avrfreaks.

They already have this, it's called an AVR32 ;)

-jg

From: Ulf Samuelsson on
-jg skrev 2010-06-16 23:06:
> On Jun 17, 1:00 am, BobG<bobgard...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>> A loadword and storeword instruction from sram, maybe 3 cycle and
>> atomic operation, would really shrink a lot of AVR programs. Faster.
>> Smaller Cheaper. Whats the chance of this happening? See thread on
>> avrfreaks.
>
> They already have this, it's called an AVR32 ;)
>
> -jg

Was about to give the same comment ;-)

Changes to the core might happen though.
The new ATtiny20 has a reduced core with but 16 registers.
The problem is decoding space.
You need 5 bits for register address as well as n bits for the address.
With RAM space growing to 16 kB, you will need 14 bits, so a total of 19
bits.
Have to be a 4 byte instruction, which probably makes the instruction
decoder unhappy.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson
From: BobG on
On Jun 17, 5:24 pm, Ulf Samuelsson <u...(a)invalid.atmel.com> wrote:
> Changes to the core might happen though.
> The new ATtiny20 has a reduced core with but 16 registers.
> The problem is decoding space.
> You need 5 bits for register address as well as n bits for the address.
> With RAM space growing to 16 kB, you will need 14 bits, so a total of 19
> bits.
> Have to be a 4 byte instruction, which probably makes the instruction
> decoder unhappy.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Ulf Samuelsson
> These are my own personal opinions, which may
> or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
Thanks for the reply Ulf. Tell those other atmel guys to pay more
attention to the avrfreaks. They think no-one empowered reads the
questions.

From: Ulf Samuelsson on
BobG skrev:
> On Jun 17, 5:24 pm, Ulf Samuelsson <u...(a)invalid.atmel.com> wrote:
>> Changes to the core might happen though.
>> The new ATtiny20 has a reduced core with but 16 registers.
>> The problem is decoding space.
>> You need 5 bits for register address as well as n bits for the address.
>> With RAM space growing to 16 kB, you will need 14 bits, so a total of 19
>> bits.
>> Have to be a 4 byte instruction, which probably makes the instruction
>> decoder unhappy.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards
>> Ulf Samuelsson
>> These are my own personal opinions, which may
>> or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
> Thanks for the reply Ulf. Tell those other atmel guys to pay more
> attention to the avrfreaks. They think no-one empowered reads the
> questions.

The alternative is to send to the "avr at atmel dot com" mail address.
BR
Ulf