From: Hugh Jeego on
Got ADSL2. First thing I did was a download speed test. I get 330kbps which
is below what I would get on a working 1500 connect speed download rate. So
I contact my ISP. Lots of days later it is reported to me that my exchange
is full and Telstra have capped it. Why do they do that I ask. They do it
because if they don't do it, someone will get ADSL2 download speeds while
some others may get less than dial up speeds. Oh, says I. So when will
Telstra fix it? No idea, I was told - they only give ISPs info on COMPLETED
work and rarely answer questions about exchanges before the work is
completed. However, says the support guy, he DOES know of ONE exchange in
Metro Sydney (didn't name it) that has been capped for 9 months now. Yes, 9
months.

So - you are on an ADSL2 plan are you? Your connect speed says somewhere
from 9000 upwards does it? Have you bothered to test download speeds
constantly? You well MAY have checked that the day you got it and all was
well but what about NOW? See, your exchange may have been 95% full for ADSL2
when you got ADSL2 and now it is full and capped. If so, your download speed
is going to be pathetic.

Worse yet, there are actually sites around that list capped exchanges though
that data seems only to come from those people who bother to check download
rates. If you check the capped exchanges (and the lists are far from fully
accurate) you will see many there, some in suburban Sydney, Brisbane,
Melbourne, not just regional and country.

So how much do you PAY for your ADSL2 plan and if you check and your
download speeds are pathetic like mine on my capped exchange, then why is it
you are paying for something you aren't getting and who is to blame? If the
ISPs don't get told by Telstra then it isn't the ISP's fault. It is clearly
Telstra's fault but do they bother to refund the money you lose AND the
money the ISP loses for the right to use ADSL2 on Telstra Dslams? Nope.

Don't think that because you applied for and got ADSL2 and your connect
speed reflects ADSL2 that you are, in fact GETTING ADSL2. Connect speed is
only an indication of ADSL2 the way Telstra are handling things. You may or
may not actually be getting what you paid for.

Why is it we are paying for this when Telstra say it is there and wont allow
us to actually get the download speeds of ADSL2? I am not talking about
lesser speed because of distance from the exchange here - I am talking about
lesser DOWNLOAD speed because of capped exchanges!

Check your exchanges and make a damned noise about it with your local Fed
member of Parliament if you are on a capped exchange, now or in the future.
Those poor bastards on that capped exchange for NINE MONTHS are paying ADSL2
and not getting it. Do YOU want to be sitting around that long while Telstra
pissfart around and make you pay for something you don't get? Don't forget
this isn't your ISP's fault so while they MAY offer to put you back to an
ADSL1 plan at a lower cost, they really don't HAVE to do so. Your ISP may
tell you they wont because THEY don't deserve to lose money and that would
be right but YOU don't deserve that either. Start complaining - this is
going on all over Australia (not all at once of course and maybe not for you
right now but it may in the future). There is a LOT of money being wasted by
you and business because of this.

From: Sandgroper on

"Hugh Jeego" <id(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Your response shows YOU know nothing about this.
>
> I have my own experience in the I.T. field for a start. Telstra DO cap
> exchanges and every I.T. person other than myself to whom I have gone have
> all either confirmed it DOES happen or if they didn't know (and I admit I
> didn't know before I got ADSL2) they tested and where they could find
> affected people, confirmed it.
>
> You don't know what you are talking about. Take this chance to back out
> gracefully. It has all been confirmed by more people than just me and my
> ISP.

Wow , you have experience in the IT field , obviously not in networking or
broadband connections.

Post your modem stats so that people can see the condition of your line and
whether you are telling porkies.

Telstra can/does cap exchanges , but not the extent of what your are
dribbling about , better read up on Rims and pair gain set ups.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

Pages: 1