From: chris h on
Hello all,

I'm starting a new project and I'm thinking about building it on Zend
framework and possibly Zend server. I've only used the framework slightly
and I've never really used Zend server. That being said I hear that the
framework is pretty decent to work with. I want something that is strict
and uses OOP & MVC well, and I hear it does; though I also have the
impression that it's slow and bloated...

Anyways, I was curious if any of you have some general advice / good things
/ horror stories on the Zend framework?

Thanks,
Chris.
From: Joshua Kehn on
Chris-

While I find Zend to be more of a wonderful set of libraries then a framework, it does do both and is a good introduction.

I do most of my framework coding on CodeIgniter though.

Regards,

-JOsh
____________________________________
Joshua Kehn | Josh.Kehn(a)gmail.com
http://joshuakehn.com

From: Carlos Medina on
Am 10.09.2010 03:33, schrieb chris h:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm starting a new project and I'm thinking about building it on Zend
> framework and possibly Zend server. I've only used the framework slightly
> and I've never really used Zend server. That being said I hear that the
> framework is pretty decent to work with. I want something that is strict
> and uses OOP& MVC well, and I hear it does; though I also have the
> impression that it's slow and bloated...
>
> Anyways, I was curious if any of you have some general advice / good things
> / horror stories on the Zend framework?
>

> Thanks,
> Chris.

Hallo Chris,
i thing the best Framework on the Market now is the Zend Framework. I
use others (like my own) for programming Software that need own license
but the Zend Framework is really good to build Applications fast and
easy. The Zend Server is a better Xampp with other tools, but when i
work with Zend Framework, i like to compile all needed Servers and PHP
by myself.

Regards

Carlos
From: Richard Quadling on
On 10 September 2010 02:33, chris h <chris404(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm starting a new project and I'm thinking about building it on Zend
> framework and possibly Zend server.  I've only used the framework slightly
> and I've never really used Zend server.  That being said I hear that the
> framework is pretty decent to work with.  I want something that is strict
> and uses OOP & MVC well, and I hear it does; though I also have the
> impression that it's slow and bloated...
>
> Anyways, I was curious if any of you have some general advice / good things
> / horror stories on the Zend framework?
>

> Thanks,
> Chris.

I use part of ZF (Zend's autoloader, SOAP and AutoDiscovering of
WSDL). Whilst I have to install all the framework, I'm not tied to
using all of it. I don't, for example, use the MVC.

Being able to truly mix and match the classes I want is of great
benefit to me. I can slowly learn the code I need to use rather than
jumping in at the deep end and struggle trying to do everything.

Regards,

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend
From: David Harkness on
We use part of Zend MVC (the dispatcher, controllers, and view scripts) here
and a lot of the other facilities such as the autoloader, config, etc. and
are very happy so far. As long as you design your application with an eye
toward portability, you won't be tied to ZF. For example, put all of your
business logic in model classes instead of the controllers themselves. That
way if you ever need to move to a new presentation layer or use the business
logic outside it (e.g. in SOAP or RPC messages), you'll be ready.

David