From: as on
Zimbabwe mines group proposes 10 pct local ownership

http://af.reuters.com

Fri Feb 5, 2010 12:57pm GMT

By Shapi Shacinda

CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - A key Zimbabwe mining group has proposed that
locals
have 10 percent ownership of foreign-owned companies, and not the 51
percent
the government wants under a draft law that has shaken investors and
could
further damage an already ravaged economy.

Zimbabwe's government has proposed in a draft law that "indigenous
Zimbabweans" take 51 percent ownership of all foreign companies,
including
mines and banks. .

Chamber of Mines of Zimbabwe President Victor Gapare told Reuters the
government had in principle agreed to its proposals.

"We have given the government our proposals that equity (should be) a
minimum of 10 percent, then empowerment credits will make up to...15
percent
and this will cover local procurement," Gapare told Reuters in an
interview
in Cape Town.

"One of the concessions the government has given is that if a company
lists
on the local stock exchange, that will be considered as local
empowerment
mainly because most of those shares will be bought by local pension
funds,"
Gapare said.

Junior Mines Minister Murisi Zwizwai told Reuters a revised Mines and
Minerals Act, would "go to the cabinet this month on its way to the
parliament". He gave no further details.

Analysts believe the law would frighten away much needed investment to
fix
an economy severely damaged by the collapse of commercial agriculture
following President Robert Mugabe's seizure of white-owned farms since
2000.

Mining group Rio Tinto said this week the plans to impose local
ownership
rules on foreign firms threatened its diamond operations.

There have been conflicting statements by government officials about
local
ownership since President Robert Mugabe formed a fragile unity
government a
year ago with former opposition foe Morgan Tsvangirai, who became prime
minister.

Last September, Mugabe urged mining companies to invest in Zimbabwe and
sought to allay fears that such businesses could be expropriated. .

Gapare said the new law would also seek more corporate social
investments by
mining companies and building factories for value addition to raw
materials.

"What we envisage people doing especially from the bigger mines, is
helping
with geological works, safety and environment, things like that,"
Gapare
said.

Gapare said there was a rebound in the mining sector in the southern
African
country.

"Things have improved and capacity realization in the mining industry
has
improved. So in I don't think it will be as diabolical as most people
think
and it will not be a free carry as people will have to pay for
(shares),"
Gapare said.

Mining companies in Zimbabwe include Anglo American Plc unit Anglo
Platinum,
Impala Platinum and Rio Tinto, a major shareholder in a diamond mine.