From: John Levine on
>>occupy fixed place in memory, whereas in case of ELF,
>>the shared libraries can be loaded anywhere in memory.
>
>This is not true. Typical implementations of shared libraries with
>a.out did not use fixed addresses.

They did it both ways. BSDI had fixed address static libraries, SunOS
as I recall had relocatable.

Either way, doing shared libraries with a.out was a kludge, and ELF
handles them much more tidily.

R's,
John
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Mar 7, 3:22 am, John Levine <jo...(a)iecc.com> wrote:
> >>occupy fixed place in memory, whereas in case of ELF,
> >>the shared libraries can be loaded anywhere in memory.
>
> >This is not true.  Typical implementations of shared libraries with
> >a.out did not use fixed addresses.
>
> They did it both ways.  BSDI had fixed address static libraries, SunOS
> as I recall had relocatable.

Interesting to know that in the case of SunOS it was relocatable !!

Is there any chart/table/diagramatic representation that brings out
the
a.out and the related changes w.r.t various versions of Operating
Systems along with the timeline/history ?

> Either way, doing shared libraries with a.out was a kludge, and ELF
> handles them much more tidily.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Richard Tobin on
In article <2f75f973-7ccd-45dd-ba48-055f8c783581(a)v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> They did it both ways. �BSDI had fixed address static libraries, SunOS
>> as I recall had relocatable.

>Interesting to know that in the case of SunOS it was relocatable !!

As it was in FreeBSD.

-- Richard
From: Casper H.S. Dik on
John Levine <johnl(a)iecc.com> writes:

>>>occupy fixed place in memory, whereas in case of ELF,
>>>the shared libraries can be loaded anywhere in memory.
>>
>>This is not true. Typical implementations of shared libraries with
>>a.out did not use fixed addresses.

>They did it both ways. BSDI had fixed address static libraries, SunOS
>as I recall had relocatable.

Not "relocatable" but rather "position independent".
"Relocatable" requires fixups in the code after loading;
"position independent" did not. The SunOS loader was able to
relocatable libraries also, but they can't be shared.

a.out only has a few sections; ELF has an unlimited number.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2