From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:06:35 +0100, Rainer Weikusat
<rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:

>Further, you stated that you wouldn't like to structure texts into
>sensible and easily intelligible, independent units, but rather just
>talk along in however ways you presently feel like doing (that was the
>'large function' statement) and at least when I was in school, taking
>a that cavalier approach towards composition of non-fictional texts
>intended to be read by others would solely have resulted in a bad
>grade.

Since graduating, I have no need to please professors.

>You are free to write F-level technical prose.

My code may perplex academics, but professionals need a higher level of
comprehension to succeed in the messy real world.

You can leave this argument any time now; I won't mind.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Scott Lurndal on
Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> writes:
>Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> writes:
>
>[...]
>
>> This is further emphasized by the fact that the MAX_VLAN_ID
>> macros is not defined to be the numerically highest VLAN ID
>> but the largest valid index for addressing elements of the
>> array and because of this, another correction is necessary
>> (that's the MAX_VLAN_ID/32 + 1).
>
>Clarification: 4095 is not the largest valid array index (that would
>be 127) but the largest possible non-transformed VLAN ID, array index
>127, bit index 31.

Given that the valid universe of VLAN ID's is [1..4095], perhaps the
author knew what he was doing after all.
From: Rainer Weikusat on
John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> writes:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:06:35 +0100, Rainer Weikusat
> <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:
>
>>Further, you stated that you wouldn't like to structure texts into
>>sensible and easily intelligible, independent units, but rather just
>>talk along in however ways you presently feel like doing (that was the
>>'large function' statement) and at least when I was in school, taking
>>a that cavalier approach towards composition of non-fictional texts
>>intended to be read by others would solely have resulted in a bad
>>grade.
>
> Since graduating, I have no need to please professors.

The point of these exercises (and this would have been in highschool in
the US) is not that the pupil 'somehow' manages to get a degree, but
that he or she actually learns something. For instance, how to
structure a text sensibly. And a program is a text.

>>You are free to write F-level technical prose.
>
> My code may perplex academics, but professionals need a higher level of
> comprehension to succeed in the messy real world.

I am just in the process of writing another in-place parser for e-mail
headers. And that is a messy data format which was apparently defined
by 'the Russians' in order to order to hold back western software
technology or something like that. Dealing with messy problems
requires orderly approaches, or, to put it differently, the more
complicated the code to solve a simple problem already is, the simpler
the problems which can still be solved will become.
From: John Kelly on
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:08:09 +0100, Rainer Weikusat
<rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:

>I am just in the process of writing another in-place parser for e-mail
>headers. And that is a messy data format which was apparently defined
>by 'the Russians' in order to order to hold back western software
>technology or something like that. Dealing with messy problems
>requires orderly approaches, or, to put it differently, the more
>complicated the code to solve a simple problem already is, the simpler
>the problems which can still be solved will become.

I didn't demand anyone read my code. I only offered it. If you didn't
want to review it, you could have remained silent.

But you didn't. You replies are bombast.

From: Rainer Weikusat on
scott(a)slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:
>>Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> writes:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>> This is further emphasized by the fact that the MAX_VLAN_ID
>>> macros is not defined to be the numerically highest VLAN ID
>>> but the largest valid index for addressing elements of the
>>> array and because of this, another correction is necessary
>>> (that's the MAX_VLAN_ID/32 + 1).
>>
>>Clarification: 4095 is not the largest valid array index (that would
>>be 127) but the largest possible non-transformed VLAN ID, array index
>>127, bit index 31.
>>

> Given that the valid universe of VLAN ID's is [1..4095], perhaps the
> author knew what he was doing after all.

That's actually even more awful, because it amounts to doing one or
two subtractions (depending on the capabilities of the compiler) in
order to save a bit at the beginning of the array which is necessarily
'wasted' at the end of it. There is no reason to deal with this in the
code at all. A VLAN ID is a 12-bit value and the range of twelve bit
values is (0, 4095). The number of all possible 12-bit values is 1 <<
12.