From: Tony Johansson on
Hi!

The text at the bottom is from e-learning and there is one thing that I
wonder about.
If you have a language it could be any language. This language is spoken in
many different regions and countries then I mean when you sort a string in
all these region and countries where this language is spoken you will have
the same sorting. I mean the sorting must be based only on the language and
not as the text says "because alphabetical order varies based on the
language and region in use"

"While developing globalized applications, you may need to sort or arrange
strings according to the language and regional order because alphabetical
order varies based on the language and region in use. In addition, the rules
related to evaluating equality in characters vary according to the language
and regional conventions."

//Tony

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 30-03-2010 11:42, Tony Johansson wrote:
> The text at the bottom is from e-learning and there is one thing that I
> wonder about.
> If you have a language it could be any language. This language is spoken in
> many different regions and countries then I mean when you sort a string in
> all these region and countries where this language is spoken you will have
> the same sorting. I mean the sorting must be based only on the language and
> not as the text says "because alphabetical order varies based on the
> language and region in use"
>
> "While developing globalized applications, you may need to sort or arrange
> strings according to the language and regional order because alphabetical
> order varies based on the language and region in use. In addition, the rules
> related to evaluating equality in characters vary according to the language
> and regional conventions."

I can not think of a case where different regions within the same
language sort different.

But there could be some.

Or maybe MS just wanted to keep the possibility open.

Arne
From: Mihai N. on

> If you have a language it could be any language. This language is spoken in
> many different regions and countries then I mean when you sort a string in
> all these region and countries where this language is spoken you will have
> the same sorting.

No. Spanish Spain has two different sort orders, "modern" and "traditional"
Only the traditional one is used in Latin America.
German also has two sort orders, but the "phonebook" one is only used
in Germany.

Also, countries are free to change the sorting rules
(see recent example here
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2006/04/27/584439.aspx)
This kind of changes don't usually affect speakers of that language that
live in other countries.
I am pretty sure that if the French Academy decides something on sorting,
the changes are not mandatory for Canada :-)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net