From: plumcuda on
I have a G4 sawtooth
1.2 Ghz OWC mercury extreme cpu
1.75 GB memory
maxtor 60 Gb with Itunes
10 GB original drive with OS 9
acard AEC 6290m with 400 GB western digital with OS
10.4.11
Radeon 9200 video

When I went on vacation last summer, I shut the whole system down at
the power strip. Came home and turned it on. Booted into 9, kept
rebooting and it finally came back up to
OS 10 drive.
Made a mental note to never shut it down completely again. Oops,
forgot about that mental note.
This year I booted it and it will not boot into anything but 9.Kept
rebooting, nothing but 9. Put the 10 install disk in to see if I could
locate 10 drive and get it to boot. Can't find the acard or the drive.
Installed 10.4 over the 9 drive to see if the cd for the acard would
load.Can't open the install program because I need to install adobe
reader, anyone know where I can get a older copy of Adobe reader or
anything else to install the acard installer? If I lose everything we
have on this computer since 2000 my husband will kill me! Why would
the acard just vanish when the power was shut off?

Thanks,
Lori

From: Jim Gibson on
In article
<9286de0a-18f4-4991-9cb8-cf5033455f42(a)u31g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
plumcuda <plumcuda(a)cablespeed.com> wrote:

> I have a G4 sawtooth
> 1.2 Ghz OWC mercury extreme cpu
> 1.75 GB memory
> maxtor 60 Gb with Itunes
> 10 GB original drive with OS 9
> acard AEC 6290m with 400 GB western digital with OS
> 10.4.11
> Radeon 9200 video
>
> When I went on vacation last summer, I shut the whole system down at
> the power strip. Came home and turned it on. Booted into 9, kept
> rebooting and it finally came back up to
> OS 10 drive.

Do you shutdown the computer before turning off power at the power
strip?

> Made a mental note to never shut it down completely again. Oops,
> forgot about that mental note.
> This year I booted it and it will not boot into anything but 9.Kept
> rebooting, nothing but 9. Put the 10 install disk in to see if I could
> locate 10 drive and get it to boot. Can't find the acard or the drive.
> Installed 10.4 over the 9 drive to see if the cd for the acard would
> load.Can't open the install program because I need to install adobe
> reader, anyone know where I can get a older copy of Adobe reader or
> anything else to install the acard installer? If I lose everything we
> have on this computer since 2000 my husband will kill me! Why would
> the acard just vanish when the power was shut off?

Try reseating the Acard adapter card.

Try booting while holding down the option key. You should see both the
internal drive and the external. If not, something is wrong with the
external.

Boot off of the install disk and run Disk Utility. Does it see the
external drive? If not, there is something wrong with the external.

Are you sure the Acard installer requires Adobe Reader? That would be
unusual. Current versions of Reader should be able to read old PDF
files anyway. What error messages are you getting? You can find old
versions of Reader (back to 8.1.1 at least) on the Adobe website.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&p
roduct=10>

or maybe here:

<http://mac.oldapps.com/adobe_reader.php>

(I googled for 'old versions adobe reader')

If you can't get the Western Digital drive working, you can purchase a
new external enclosure that accepts a SATA drive internally but
interfaces to your computer using Firewire or USB.

--
Jim Gibson