From: RB on
I can still access the masm group on newsguy's server (while it is
already gone on MS.public), does this mean MS is only closing
down their server and their groups will remain on pay servers?
From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:22:36 -0400, "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote:

>I can still access the masm group on newsguy's server (while it is
>already gone on MS.public), does this mean MS is only closing
>down their server and their groups will remain on pay servers?

The MS groups are also available on some of the free servers. There
was never any need to get the groups from the MS servers.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: RB on

> The MS groups are also available on some of the free servers. There
> was never any need to get the groups from the MS servers.
> Steve

That is interesting. So MS is too cheap to keep them own their own
server, but it's still available on pay servers and some free ones.
I surmise the free ones have the advertising overhead ? Never
been there or done that.

From: RB on

Tried to configure a news account to Newzbot in my OutlookExpress
but I'm not sure what to put in the server name ?
I tried www.newzbot.com but it won't connect to download groups.

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:18:14 -0400, "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote:

>> The MS groups are also available on some of the free servers. There
>> was never any need to get the groups from the MS servers.
>> Steve
>
>That is interesting. So MS is too cheap to keep them own their own
>server, but it's still available on pay servers and some free ones.
>I surmise the free ones have the advertising overhead ? Never
>been there or done that.

Try http://news.eternal-september.org/

It is free, no adverts and a reliable service which carries all the MS
groups and has done for years. It has a "Donate" button for anyone who
wants to send money!