From: Phred Phungus on
Ben Morrow wrote:
> Quoth fergus(a)twig-me-uk.not.here (Fergus McMenemie):

>>> I have not used perlex, but if the official mailing list is any
>>> indication, it would appear to be dead. The last posting to the
>>> mailing list was mid 2007.
>>>
>>> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/perlex
>> Thanks for that. But there is definetly some FUD at work. After all
>> I came across this today:-
>>
>> http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.10/PerlEx/Welcome.html
>>
>> which has a copyright in the footer of 2009! Now 5.10 only arrived
>> in late 2007.
>
> Almost certainly the docs were all regenerated, and the copyright year
> updated, when ActiveState rolled their release of 5.10.1 (which was
> itself released in August 2009).

>>> IMO, that's a bigger problem.
>>>
>>> You should upgrade to at the very least 5.8 or preferably 5.10.
>> If only it were my choice!
>
> You should point out to whoever makes that choice that both 5.6 and 5.8
> are considered end-of-life and completely unsupported by p5p, and that
> most CPAN authors are moving to a minimum supported perl version of
> 5.8.1. Any security holes in 5.6 or the modules you have for 5.6 will
> likely never be fixed, and if there are any issues with Vista (and I
> wouldn't be surprised if there were) they will also never be fixed.
>
> Ben

It's so nice to be able to post from a platform that is *not*
activestate. It's a fantastic tool for windows.

--
fred
From: Thrill5 on

"Fergus McMenemie" <fergus(a)twig-me-uk.not.here> wrote in message
> Ron Bergin <rkb(a)i.frys.com> wrote:
>
>> > discontinued.
>> >
>> > Is this true? What is its status?
>> >
>> I have not used perlex, but if the official mailing list is any
>> indication, it would appear to be dead. The last posting to the
>> mailing list was mid 2007.
>>
>> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/perlex
>
> Thanks for that. But there is definetly some FUD at work. After all
> I came across this today:-
>
> http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.10/PerlEx/Welcome.html
>
> which has a copyright in the footer of 2009! Now 5.10 only arrived
> in late 2007.
>

>> > I am running perl v5.6.1 on vista sp 2
>>
>> IMO, that's a bigger problem.
>>
>> You should upgrade to at the very least 5.8 or preferably 5.10.
>
> If only it were my choice!

Most of ActiveStates products suffer from extremely poor documentation, (or
a total lack thereof) It's no wonder that most of them end up being
discontinued or no longer supported. The existing PerlEx documenation only
refrences only IIS 5.0, which was release with Windows 2000 about 10 years
ago. I know it works with IIS 6.0 and 7.0, only because I tested it, but
you would never know that from the docs.