From: /dev/rob0 on
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 01:33:35PM +0000, Michele Carandente wrote:
> I'm making a GUI to configure in an easy way my mailserver.
snip
> Do you agree?
>
> Sorry for my questions, but I'm not a big expert of postfix and
> I'm trying to understand a bit better his behaviour...

My thought is that to make a useful administrative GUI, you would
need to be a Postfix expert. And if you were, what advantage does
this GUI give you? Not much that I can see.

Typically the goal of a GUI is to put highly technical matters in the
hands of non-technical people. For email admin, I think that is a
terribly bad idea.

If someone qualified disagreed, and decided to work on making a GUI,
IMO the best possible model for it would be SWAT, the Samba Web
Administration Tool. In fact SWAT itself could probably be adapted
fairly easily.

SWAT is not a "point-and-drool" GUI. The administrator has to know
the subject, and the GUI does little to shield him/her from the
details. In fact, the best part of it is the integrated hyperlinking
to the HTML documentation.

Note, Postfix already boasts extensive HTML documentation. The hard
part is already done.

A GUI might have a handful of basic templates corresponding to
various typical roles that a mail server might need to fulfill.

But all that said, back to the question of why? Who is this going to
benefit, how? Look at "postfixadmin". That's the kind of thing which
can be put in the hands of a non-technical person, because it is not
at all what the name implies. It's a Mysql frontend for management of
IMAP user maps. You set up Postfix to work with it, then basically
leave Postfix alone.

From: Michele Carandente on
Well, I'm making a kind of GUI because it must be implemented in
another product.

Anyway, coming back to my old question, I think I'm ok with SMTP authentication.

Now I've just to setup how to change the encryption (SSL or TLS) and
then I'm happy :p

From: Michele Carandente on
Thanks Victor for your answer.

Well in this case with my configuration I don't need to specify in the
GUI which kind of encryption...
I've tried with this configuration with gmail, hotmail, yahoo and
another private server that doesn't need the encryption and it's
always working with the same configuration:

smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem
smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 9
smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtp_sasl_security_options
smtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $smtp_sasl_security_options
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes

If somebody can see some errors in this configuration, please let me know...

Thanks
Michele