From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:49:44PM +0000, Michele Carandente wrote:

> Well, I'm making a kind of GUI because it must be implemented in
> another product.
>
> Anyway, coming back to my old question, I think I'm ok with SMTP authentication.
>
> Now I've just to setup how to change the encryption (SSL or TLS) and
> then I'm happy :p

It is not "SSL *or* TLS", it is "SSL/TLS", the two are the same, just
different revision levels of a single protocol:

SSL 2 - Obsolete Netscape SSL protocol
SSL 3 - Version 3.0 of the SSL protocol
TLS 1.0 - Version 3.1 of the SSL protocol an IETF standard
TLS 1.1 - Version 3.2 of the SSL protocol an IETF standard
TLS 1.2 - Version 3.3 of the SSL protocol an IETF standard

You can safely disable SSLv2. Now there is also a separate question
of how SSL/TLS is used, STARTTLS versus wrapper-mode. See a recent
post by Noel Jones in the list archive.

--
Viktor.

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 05:22:41PM +0000, Michele Carandente wrote:

> smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
> smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key

Set these empty, you don't need them.

> smtp_use_tls = yes

Obsolete, set:

smtp_tls_security_level = may

> smtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 9

Don't set this to the default, just leave it out, unless you want
a smaller value for some reason.

--
Viktor.