From: Tonso on
is there a convenient way in xl2003 to line items up left aligned and
right aligned in a drop down list.
example

red roses 1
white roses 10
purple pansies 275

the names are left aligned, and the numbers are right aligned.

i can create the list, and tinker with it by adding/deleting spaces
until they are aligned in the dropdown list, but i was wondering if
ther was a better way, as the list is very long.

thank you,

Tonso
From: Tonso on
On Apr 3, 2:00 pm, Tonso <wthoma...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> is there a convenient way in xl2003 to line items up left aligned and
> right aligned in a drop down list.
> example
>
> red roses                  1
> white roses             10
>

> the names are left aligned, and the numbers are right aligned.
>
> i can create the list, and tinker with it by adding/deleting spaces
> until they are aligned in the dropdown list, but i was wondering if
> ther was a better way, as the list is very long.
>
> thank you,
>
> Tonso

another question regarding this list. the numbers to the right can be
from 1 to 3 digits long. I would like to be able to muliply the
numbers in cass of multiple requirments. for example:
purple pansies 275*2 in this case the result, 550, would show
up in another cell. or, even if there were no multiplication, the
number 275 would show up in the cell. as i stated b4, the digits in
the multiplicand can be 1-3 digits ling, and the same for the
multiplier. i had envisioned being able to press f2, then typing in "
*2 ", then enter, and the resulting multiplication show up in the
another cell.
From: Don Guillett on

Why not RE think your design and have the item in one column and use a
vlookup formula tied to the drop down?
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: T. Valko on
Just for the heck of it...

I see in your follow-up post you want some different stuff so you may not
want to do this data alignment afterall, but if you do...

A1:A3 =
red roses
white roses
purple pansies

B1:B3 =
1
10
275

The numbers in B1:B3 will be from 1 to a max of 3 digits.

To concatenate those cells and align the data...

First, you'll have to use a fixed width font. Maybe Courier New.

Then, you have to know how many spaces between the data you want as a
default. Let's assume you want a default of 3. This means every concatenated
cell will have at least 3 spaces separating the data.

Enter this formula in D1 (all on one line):

=A1&REPT(" ",MAX(INDEX(LEN(A$1:A$3),0))
-LEN(A1)+3+(3-LEN(B1)))&B1

Format to use the Courier New font. Copy down to D3.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP