From: JCarlosJr on
Hi gang,

Its tax time and I'm trying to enter my expenses ito EXCEL for last year
(don't even remind me I should do this as the year progresses).

Anyway, for speed of entry I would like to enter just mm/dd. Excel will
complete the year for me as 2010.

I could change the system date, but this has bad reprocussions, especaill
when multi-tasking.

I could create a column which subtracts 365 from my entry column and then
paste values from my "dummy" column into my entry column.

BUT, does anyone have a better suggestion to force dates entered on a
specific book, sheet, or even colum to s different default year than the
system date year?

From: Gord Dibben on
Excel assumes current year when entering just mm/dd

Think about it.............how would Excel know which year you wanted if
none specified?

Without using the adjacent column trick you must add the year in your entry

mm/dd/yy

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Billns on
On 4/3/2010 9:39 AM, JCarlosJr wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> Its tax time and I'm trying to enter my expenses ito EXCEL for last year
> (don't even remind me I should do this as the year progresses).
>
> Anyway, for speed of entry I would like to enter just mm/dd. Excel will
> complete the year for me as 2010.
>
> I could change the system date, but this has bad reprocussions, especaill
> when multi-tasking.
>
> I could create a column which subtracts 365 from my entry column and then
> paste values from my "dummy" column into my entry column.
>
> BUT, does anyone have a better suggestion to force dates entered on a
> specific book, sheet, or even colum to s different default year than the
> system date year?

If the dates are all last year, why do you even need to display the year
or care which one it really is? Format the column as mm/dd.

Bill
From: Don Guillett on
Agree that you don't care about the year but to do as you ask for numbers in
col A
right click sheet tab>view code>insert this>format your column as desired.

If Not IsNumeric(Target) Or Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
Target.Value = DateSerial(2009, Month(Target), Day(Target))
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: tompl on
I could not get that to work but this did:

If Not IsDate(Target) Or Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
Target.Value = DateSerial(2009, Month(Target), Day(Target))
End Sub

Tom