From: annalissa on
Hi all,

On NTFS there is a nice but mostly unused feature called "Alternate
Data Streams" (ADS) my question is whether any File system on Linux
support this feature ?
From: David Brown on
On 10/08/2010 09:08, annalissa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On NTFS there is a nice but mostly unused feature called "Alternate
> Data Streams" (ADS) my question is whether any File system on Linux
> support this feature ?

It's not a "feature" of NTFS, since there are no examples of anyone
using them for good or useful purposes, but several examples of them
being used to hide malware, viruses, rootkits, etc.

It can certainly be useful to tag extra information onto a file - many
file systems support "extended attributes". This includes many file
systems in Linux, and also NTFS in windows. In Linux, extended
attributes may be used for access control lists and SELinux information.

Windows does make /some/ use of ADS - it stores some information about
where files come from (such as downloaded files) and tag information
such as "author". I think this was a bad decision - it was perhaps done
simply so that they could say ADS has uses other than for hiding
malware. A far better idea would have been to use extended attributes -
they are safer and more convenient.

From: Rahul on
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote in news:4c61237b$0
$32182$8404b019(a)news.wineasy.se:

> Windows does make /some/ use of ADS - it stores some information about
> where files come from (such as downloaded files) and tag information
> such as "author". I think this was a bad decision - it was perhaps done
> simply so that they could say ADS has uses other than for hiding
> malware. A far better idea would have been to use extended attributes -
> they are safer and more convenient.

Even extended attributes are iffy. e.g. for backups. Many backup solutions
out there don't save the ACL's, extended attribs etc.

--
Rahul
From: mjt on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
annalissa <aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On NTFS there is a nice but mostly unused feature called "Alternate
> Data Streams" (ADS) my question is whether any File system on Linux
> support this feature ?

Why?

--
Nothing recedes like success. - Walter Winchell
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>