From: Doug Freyburger on
annalissa wrote:

> The following is what i have read in a magazine named "linux for
> you" , To what extent this is true ?
>
> The general rule is that you should always create the locations that
> need frequent I/O -/home, swap on the outer tracks , the easiest way
> to achieve this is to create these partitions first when partitioning
> your hard disk ?
>
> Reason all modern H.D.D's use a concept called ZCAV(zonal constant
> angular velocity). this takes advantage of the fact that more linear
> space is available on the outer tracks of the disk platter rather than
> on the inside tracks. now since the disk spins at a constant rate ,
> which is also known as CAV (constant angular velocity) the read/write
> I/O speed will be greater at the outer tracks as compared to the inner
> tracks

I tune large Oracle database and I've studied the numbers on this. The
gain is a tiny percentage. If you need tuning at this level you already
put each mount point on its own LUN/device and you don't use
partitioning on your high access data. The gain from separating to a
new device is far larger than shuffling block locations inside a single
disk.

Going to striped logical volumes also beats any gain from block
placement. So does using an array with internal cache.

While the advice is true the amount gained from block placement is tiny
compared to many other tuning tactics. By the time it's worth the
effort of block placement you will have already run the profiler on your
custom apps to get graphs of how many time each line of code was
executed. If you don't have a performance graph on your apps it is a
complete waste of your time to work on tuning that will have an effect
two orders of magnitude down from the top performance hogs on your
system.

If you have done every other type of tuning and you still need to do
block placement you've spent so much time on tuning labor you could have
afforded dozens of replacement servers. Use io statistics to count
traffic per mount point, then place the blocks based on the actual
statistics on your own host. There's no way /home will see more traffic
than the basic mount points. I bet most of my systems see the traffic
more like /usr, /tmp, /var, /, /opt, /home with swap and /boot appearing
dead last. For the boot devices that is - Most of my systems see more
traffic to the database/app devices than to the boot device.

Standard tuning methodology - Find out what the bottleneck is now and
work on that. If you think block placement is your current bottleneck
then you have not studied the performance of your system enough to know
what is really happening. Taking wild guesses and doing stuff that
sounds good is far less effective than gathering the actual performance
data and working from the data. Linux performance rocks when I review
the data!