From: Grant on
Plugged in an atapi interface zip disk, to check what's on a bunch
of disks before getting rid of the things. Just worked. No effort,
no creating devnodes, just worked...

fdisk -l showed it as /dev/sdc4 Quite amazing.

No drivers needed, there's a delay while the device gets registered,
mount, ls, eject (twice, but I skipped umount). Most disks read so
far are empty, but one had files from 1997 and 1998, another had
redhat-9 updates from 2003 on it.

Wonder if windoze would recognise the thing so easily? I booted
slackware to get better error messages about the hardware, the
thing hasn't been powered up in years.

Yes wants two ejects even after umount, first unloads the head
(click), second pops the disk... That's okay :)

Grant.
From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, Grant,

Du meintest am 07.08.10:

> Plugged in an atapi interface zip disk, to check what's on a bunch
> of disks before getting rid of the things. Just worked. No effort,
> no creating devnodes, just worked...

> fdisk -l showed it as /dev/sdc4 Quite amazing.

> No drivers needed, there's a delay while the device gets registered,
> mount, ls, eject (twice, but I skipped umount). Most disks read so
> far are empty, but one had files from 1997 and 1998, another had
> redhat-9 updates from 2003 on it.

Sounds nice. But ZIP drives like to change to "write only".

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

From: Grant on
On 07 Aug 2010 09:31:00 +0200, Helmut(a)Hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

>Hallo, Grant,
>
>Du meintest am 07.08.10:
>
>> Plugged in an atapi interface zip disk, to check what's on a bunch
>> of disks before getting rid of the things. Just worked. No effort,
>> no creating devnodes, just worked...
>
>> fdisk -l showed it as /dev/sdc4 Quite amazing.
>
>> No drivers needed, there's a delay while the device gets registered,
>> mount, ls, eject (twice, but I skipped umount). Most disks read so
>> far are empty, but one had files from 1997 and 1998, another had
>> redhat-9 updates from 2003 on it.
>
>Sounds nice. But ZIP drives like to change to "write only".

They do? I didn't notice, as I ripped a copy of the 8 disks holding
files, then disconnected the zipdisk and put it and the disks in a
box, not quite ready to throw them out yet, since they worked. Maybe
someone will ask me to perform data recovery one day? There's been
times I wish I kept a working 5 1/4" floppy drive for that purpose.

I do know that leaving a 3 1/2" floppy drive in a PC is a waste, as
they fill with dust sucked in by the PC cooling, and fail every time.
On the other hand, the laptop floppy worked first time, as there's
no forced air cooing through entire case like a PC.

Didn't bother rebooting to windoze to see what it would do with zip
drive, quite happy using slack for checking them. Some disks were
non-standard formatted with ext2, and one had slackware zipslack on
it. Might try booting that in a VM, if I get sufficiently bored ;)

Grant.
From: Eef Hartman on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> Yes wants two ejects even after umount, first unloads the head
> (click), second pops the disk... That's okay :)

As far as I remember "eject /dev/sdc4" will work on Zip-disks,
but it's been a while since I used them.
They're mostly for my (very old) MS-Dos system, which hasn't got
any USB yet, to transfer files from/to it to one of my Linux
systems (and no, it doesn't have network either, so it is either
ZIP-disks or floppies...).
I actually still got 2 (cq 3, but that one doesn't have a power
supply, so is a spare until one of other gives up) external zip-drives
left, the other is connected to one of my older Linux computers.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Grant on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 16:28:28 +0200, Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

>Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> Yes wants two ejects even after umount, first unloads the head
>> (click), second pops the disk... That's okay :)
>
>As far as I remember "eject /dev/sdc4" will work on Zip-disks,
>but it's been a while since I used them.

Yes, but it was needed, twice (once three times) to eject the disk,
even after umount. Not a big issue, just an oddness. Bit like how
windoze need two mouse move events to return from screen saver (if
you move the mouse very very slowly, the first event will either
freeze screen saver or go to black, and the second event will
actually exit screensaver (or trigger the screen restore).

>They're mostly for my (very old) MS-Dos system, which hasn't got
>any USB yet, to transfer files from/to it to one of my Linux
>systems (and no, it doesn't have network either, so it is either
>ZIP-disks or floppies...).
>I actually still got 2 (cq 3, but that one doesn't have a power
>supply, so is a spare until one of other gives up) external zip-drives
>left, the other is connected to one of my older Linux computers.

Got to be retired one day? I already ditched the external drive,
but it was very battered from being carried around. I've not
bought iomega products since the zipdisk drive, too many painful
memories of the windows drivers. The ATAPI one is fine, no driver
reqd.

Grant.