From: Ben Davis on
Hi folks...

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a half-decent app/script/hack to
write large amounts of data to multiple dvd's.. I've got dar which can
do the job but I just want the raw data written as iso9660/vfat not in
archive format. I'm sure someone already wrote something like this
and/or got brainfreeze, but why reinvent the wheel? I see lots of win32
utils but surely there's a linux tool out there? thanks for any advice.

Regards....j

--
** Ben aka Jamin Davis @ Home :::: jamin(a)ghost.merseine.nu **

[ http://jaminja.wordpress.org ]
From: Robert Billing on
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Ben
Davis had written:

> Hi folks...
>
> I've been looking unsuccessfully for a half-decent app/script/hack to
> write large amounts of data to multiple dvd's.. I've got dar which can
> do the job but I just want the raw data written as iso9660/vfat not in
> archive format. I'm sure someone already wrote something like this
> and/or got brainfreeze, but why reinvent the wheel? I see lots of win32
> utils but surely there's a linux tool out there? thanks for any advice.
>
> Regards....j

I wrote a thing called tsplit that can split a stdin of any length into
lots of equal sized files, then reassemble. I use it to split tar/bzip
output for backup. Is this what you meant?

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book
From: Chris Davies on
Robert Billing <unclebob(a)tnglwood.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I wrote a thing called tsplit that can split a stdin of any length into
> lots of equal sized files, then reassemble.

Sounds like split(1) to me?
Chris
From: Robert Billing on
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Chris
Davies had written:

> Robert Billing <unclebob(a)tnglwood.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I wrote a thing called tsplit that can split a stdin of any length into
>> lots of equal sized files, then reassemble.
>
> Sounds like split(1) to me?
> Chris

Tsplit is my version that can do things like ejecting media between files.
Same general idea, I just added some features.

From: Bernard Peek on
On 05/01/2010 12:18, Robert Billing wrote:
> As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Chris
> Davies had written:
>
>> Robert Billing<unclebob(a)tnglwood.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I wrote a thing called tsplit that can split a stdin of any length into
>>> lots of equal sized files, then reassemble.
>>
>> Sounds like split(1) to me?
>> Chris
>
> Tsplit is my version that can do things like ejecting media between files.
> Same general idea, I just added some features.

PMFJI

I've been looking for a similar sort of script but I may have developed
the idea a bit further. I'm pretty sure that this is not a trivial
project, but it seems to me the perfect backup solution for home users.

The idea is to run a script that copies files to the DVD so that
individual files can be browsed and recovered. Files should never be
split between disks unless the file is larger than a disk's capacity.
Ideally packing should be optimised: if the next file will not fit into
the free space then the script should look ahead to find a file that
will fit.

It would be nice if the script could compress certain types of file but
this is just as easily handled in other ways.

The script should ideally log its actions, producing a report that
details which file is on which disk.

It would be nice if the script, given enough disk space, could run
unattended and generate a set of .iso images ready to write to DVD in
one session.

It would be nice if the script could connect to unmounted Samba shares
but that sounds like a security risk so I'm doubtful whether this is
practical.

--
bap(a)shrdlu.com