From: The Natural Philosopher on
John Hasler wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher writes:
>> I got in a mess here using apt-get to install stuff, that synaptic
>> then decided 'wasn't required' and promptly removed.
>
> That is either a bug in Synaptic or (more likely) packages that Apt
> installed as dependencies on other packages which you later removed.

Like the whole gnome desktop?

> In any case the trouble is minor as reinstallation is trivial.

I cant be sure John, but it looked as though Synaptic was using a
completely different database to apt-get.

Stuff I has installed using Apt was not recognised in some way as being
installed.

HOWEVER I cant reproduce that, in fact I had to manually install a
package yesterday that wasn't in debian stable or backports to fix a
dependency, using dpkg, and that now shows in synaptic, and allowed me
to pull the rest of what I needed down.

Which is how it should work.

so maybe some database somewhere had got twisted...

But you can confirm that all other things being equal, anything
installed using apt-get, aptitude OR symantec should be equally
'visible' using all three tools?
From: Artist on
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:01:22 -0700, Artist wrote:
>> There are several installations I did using Debian apt-get before I
>> found out I really should have been using aptitude. But now that those
>> installations are done would there be any benefit to uninstalling them
>> and reinstalling using aptitude?
>
> You mean you're *not* using the Synaptic Package Manager? :-)

I am doing these installations on a VPS account where I only have SSH
shell access. I do not have access to the desktop which is in a data
center thousands of miles away. I have seen the Synaptic window in the
desktop. But can Synaptic run by command line only?

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: Mark Hobley on
Artist <artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
> There are several installations I did using Debian apt-get before I
> found out I really should have been using aptitude.

I still use dselect here. I never really liked aptitude.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: John Hasler on
Artist writes:
> I am doing these installations on a VPS account where I only have SSH
> shell access. I do not have access to the desktop which is in a data
> center thousands of miles away. I have seen the Synaptic window in the
> desktop. But can Synaptic run by command line only?

You could run it as a remote X client but I don't see why you'd want to.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Florian Diesch on
The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> John Hasler wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
>>> As a man who appreciates the finer features of various front ends, I'd
>>> like to suggest that someone who claims that it's merely "personal
>>> preference" has not had to deal with some of the less fortunate front
>>> ends of software.
>>
>> I was referring specifically to the three Apt front-ends. I've used
>> Dselect (which is not based on Apt).
>>
>>> And I highly recommend Eric Raymond's article on "The Luxury of
>>> Ignorance" for some examples of why a good front end matters, a lot,
>>> for software.
>>
>> Of course it matters. You injected the word "merely". It is still
>> personal preference: all three produce the same result. Recall that the
>> OP was worried that he might need to redo his installations because he
>> had used the "wrong" front end. Most users will prefer Synaptic because
>> it matches their GUI experience. However, if such a user does manage to
>> install some packages using Apt-get they are just as installed as if she
>> had used Synaptic. Use the one you like best or switch around if you
>> wish. It'll work. It's Debian.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I got in a mess here using apt-get to install stuff, that synaptic
> then decided 'wasn't required' and promptly removed.

Are you sure that it wasn't aptitude instead of apt-get? apt-get and
synaptic both use libapt's database of automatically installed packages
while aptitude has it's own database for that.

You can use apt-mark-sync to sync this databases.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>