From: danny burstein on
I'm helping set up some systems in a large open office
where there's _lots_ of RF in the area, messing up 802.11.

Running ethernet cable to each desk is pretty painful.

Way, way, back there were infrared transceivers you could
hook up for data transmission. True, they were quite slow
by today's standards...

Any suggestions for something avaiable today? Speed isn't
too critical as these are mostly work stations with text
material back and forth.

Thanks.

dannyb(a)panix.com
From: atec 7 7 "atec on
danny burstein wrote:
> I'm helping set up some systems in a large open office
> where there's _lots_ of RF in the area, messing up 802.11.
>
> Running ethernet cable to each desk is pretty painful.
>
> Way, way, back there were infrared transceivers you could
> hook up for data transmission. True, they were quite slow
> by today's standards...
>
> Any suggestions for something avaiable today? Speed isn't
> too critical as these are mostly work stations with text
> material back and forth.
>
> Thanks.

have you scanned the 5.8 gig which has free space and cheap routers
From: danny burstein on
In <hgfr1j$t7l$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> atec 7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> writes:

>> Thanks.
>>
>have you scanned the 5.8 gig which has free space and cheap routers

Not specifically but it's likely to be busy as well. The RF in
the room is caused by lots and lots of motors and motor-gnerators
and other big electrical nasties...

Think of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. During a thunderstorm.

But I will see if I cn hobble up a couple of 802.11a sets and see
if it's any better. thanks

dannyb(a)panix.com
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <hgfgsq$t5v$1(a)reader1.panix.com> danny burstein
<dannyb(a)panix.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I'm helping set up some systems in a large open office
>where there's _lots_ of RF in the area, messing up 802.11.
>
>Running ethernet cable to each desk is pretty painful.
>
>Way, way, back there were infrared transceivers you could
>hook up for data transmission. True, they were quite slow
>by today's standards...
>
>Any suggestions for something avaiable today? Speed isn't
>too critical as these are mostly work stations with text
>material back and forth.

The problem with IR is that any time anyone walks by the transceiver,
everyone loses their connection.

Honestly, I doubt you'll be happy with this solution long term.
From: atec 7 7 "atec on
danny burstein wrote:
> In <hgfr1j$t7l$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> atec 7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> writes:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> have you scanned the 5.8 gig which has free space and cheap routers
>
> Not specifically but it's likely to be busy as well. The RF in
> the room is caused by lots and lots of motors and motor-gnerators
> and other big electrical nasties...
>
> Think of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. During a thunderstorm.
>
> But I will see if I cn hobble up a couple of 802.11a sets and see
> if it's any better. thanks

Maybe you know someone with a suitable spec analyser although testing by
running is the best , there is modulated laser but it costs other than
that sheilded cat6