From: Dummey on
I am having the hardest time trying to find documentation on proper
use of the 'as' keyword (aside from . I initially thought that I would
be allowed to do something such as:

import shared.util as util

The as statement seems to be causing a lot of ''module' object has no
attribute'. Is it safe to assume that this is not the way to use it?
From: Terry Reedy on
On 7/24/2010 2:33 AM, Dummey wrote:
> I am having the hardest time trying to find documentation on proper
> use of the 'as' keyword (aside from . I initially thought that I would
> be allowed to do something such as:
>
> import shared.util as util
>
> The as statement seems to be causing a lot of ''module' object has no
> attribute'. Is it safe to assume that this is not the way to use it?

Give an example of real code raising an exception when importing from
the stdlib and the corresponding error traceback in its entirety.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:33:55 -0700, Dummey wrote:

> I am having the hardest time trying to find documentation on proper use
> of the 'as' keyword (aside from . I initially thought that I would be
> allowed to do something such as:
>
> import shared.util as util
>
> The as statement seems to be causing a lot of ''module' object has no
> attribute'. Is it safe to assume that this is not the way to use it?

It works for me.

>>> import math as spam
>>> spam
<module 'math' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so'>
>>> import email.mime.text as ham
>>> ham
<module 'email.mime.text' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/email/mime/text.pyc'>

My guess is that you are trying to import individual objects from a
module using the package dot notation:

>>> import math.sin as eggs
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named sin

--
Steven
From: Dummey on
On Jul 24, 3:44 am, Steven D'Aprano <st...(a)REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:33:55 -0700, Dummey wrote:
> > I am having the hardest time trying to find documentation on proper use
> > of the 'as' keyword (aside from . I initially thought that I would be
> > allowed to do something such as:
>
> > import shared.util as util
>
> > The as statement seems to be causing a lot of ''module' object has no
> > attribute'. Is it safe to assume that this is not the way to use it?
>
> It works for me.

> <module 'math' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so'>>>> import email.mime.text as ham
>
> <module 'email.mime.text' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/email/mime/text.pyc'>
>
> My guess is that you are trying to import individual objects from a
> module using the package dot notation:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named sin
>
> --
> Steven

I was being an idiot and doing a circular import. I erroneously
thought it was the "as" part of the statement. For some reason,
removing the "as" part of the statement remove/delayed the error from
popping up which made me thought it was the culprit. Thanks for the
help.